Anyone play a double neck - guitar and bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by KeddyLee, Mar 17, 2014.

1. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

So I am getting a double neck. 4 string bass, 6 string guitar.

This will be new to me so my question is, how do you run it?

I assume it uses a stereo cable and gets split to a bass amp and a guitar amp? I figure I should plan for this when it arrives.

2. negativefx

negativefx complete hack Gold Supporting Member

Check out the band El Ten Eleven. I think Kristian's have two output jacks, one for guitar, one for bass.

3. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

Checked them out. Good stuff. Doesn't help though.

How do you run cables for them?

4. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    I used to play one, about 80% on bass and 20% on guitar. I just switched it, never ran both at the same time. All through the same amp.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

The guitar tone came out OK through to the FOH? You just played clean then, I assume?

7. bkbirge

Disclosures:
    Yeah, there was another guitar player doing the regular duties so I used it for clean licks or beefing up rhythm. There's no reason you couldn't just run it through a pedal board though and switch in what you need for guitar vs. bass.

8. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

So the electronics of the dooblaneck is just a 1/4" mono out and a selector switch between the bass and the guitar, correct?

9. bkbirge

Disclosures:
    Mine just had the selector switch as you describe but it was a cheapish custom model back in the 80's, don't know about others. I'm sure there are blends out there and some people who run with dual outputs, etc. There aren't really many "standard" configs for these things I suspect.

10. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

Thanks for your help! Appreciated.

11. lz4005

lz4005

Some are like that, some have stereo outs, some have two mono outs.

Makes a big difference how they work and what kinds of amps will work without additional splitter pedals or effects.

Did you not read a spec sheet before ordering?

12. negativefx

negativefx complete hack Gold Supporting Member

When planning, I'd assume you're going to need a bass amp and a guitar amp. If you have two output jacks on the guitar, just run them to separate amps/patches. If you have one output, you need to get a splitter or an A/B box like the DOD AB. You should ask the person you ordered it from how it is going to be configured. No point in guessing when you just gave someone a pile of cash to build you a custom double neck.

13. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty Supporting Member

Somewhat O/T: Does anyone make a double-neck bass with one fretted and one fretless?

14. HockeyDawg

HockeyDawg

Just look on fleabay, there's plenty around like that.

15. lz4005

lz4005

If it has separate outputs and you use two amps, be careful that they are plugged into the same outlet. If you use separate outlets they could have separate grounds. Which could, in theory, electrocute you if you touched both necks at once. Like when the PA and backline are on separate grounds. It's rare but potentially deadly.

16. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

The order has not been placed yet. I am still trying to determine my best set up before I do. Not sure what is available and what options there are or what option is best. That is why I am asking to see what has worked out well.