1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Anyone Play Drums?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by groundhog, Mar 8, 2014.

1. groundhog

groundhog

Would love to see anyone's drum sets. I am thinking about trying it, but I'll need to raise some funds to do so.

2. sonicblue62

sonicblue62

Media:
    Albums:
    Drums rule! I have a 60's ludwig set. I'm not that good, but it's fun to lay down a groove. I'll post pics when I get time.

3. bassestkkm

bassestkkm

I play a bit. Same as above its a lot of fun to lay something down. But I definitely suck haha Its a really cheap Millennium Percussion kit. I have dreams of getting the Bonham size Ludwig kit and maybe a Steve Jordan kit with the smaller drums. But for now I use what I have haha. I really need new cymbals. I like my ride and one crash. The other 2 crashes and the high- hat need replacing.

I do have a Ludwig Supraphonic Snare... It makes everything sound better

Attached Files:

4. Figjam

Figjam

I do. Frankenstein Pearl kit. Pearl forum kick drum, pearl forum 14 inch tom, 80s pearl export 16 inch tom. Hohner steel snare with wooden top hoop. Sabian AAX hi hats (borrowed from a friend, mine are Paiste), cracked Paiste Rude Crash/Ride, Zildjian Edge ride, really cracked Zildjian crash/ride.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. marko138

marko138

Sure do. Been behind the kit for almost 8 years now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. bassestkkm

bassestkkm

Marko that's a great looking kit!

8. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    In some ways I wish I could play drums.
    It would make it handy to record stuff.
    And it could be fun.

But when I sit behind drums my sense of rhythm doesn't come with me.
    Nor does my co-ordination.

9. Unemploid

Unemploid

we're looking for a drummer for our band. we're in the los angeles california area. join the unemploid.

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

No pic of my kit but I have been playing drums since 1978. My kit is a mix of 70's and 80's Pearl drums with a Ludwig snare. I have two kick drums, three upper toms, two floor toms, an array of 70's and 80's Zildjian cymbals, a Sabian splash and a Paiste china boy. Ludwig pedals and mismatched cymbal stands round out the rest of the set.

11. avri62

avri62

Here's my 1980 Slingerland J5 kit that took me almost 2 years to restore to original.

Attached Files:

12. marko138

marko138

Thanks man. They are Tama Starclassics. I love them.

13. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin

I have been learning. In a few months, I might actually proudly suck. Until then, I can't even claim to be that good.

14. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

Playing drums is a great thing for bassists to do a bit of. I used to take drum lessons - though I never pursued drums seriously. I've taken conga lessons too and tend a little more toward hand percussion these days than kit.

15. TomCHunley

TomCHunley

Disclosures:
    I practice a lot but still suck.
    I have a Pearl Forum kit with an 18" kick drum. I bought it last year hoping it would. Ake me a better bass player and help me talk to my drummer. My kids take lessons and I'm pretty sure the 8-year-old has more talent than I do. Family band, here we come (in a few years).

16. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I do. I've always enjoyed drums quite a bit, it's a fun instrument to play.

17. thunderstation

thunderstation

I couldn't play drums if my life depended on it. Luckily, I've always been in bands with terrific drummers

18. Wagz

Wagz

All electronic kit here. A cheap hybrid DIY and Ion kit based on the Alesis SR-16 drum machine and an acoustic snare and tom (used as a kick drum) I converted to mesh heads. Not having the acoustic kit around the house allows me to have more basses and amps without getting a divorce, and it's a lot easier than mic'ing a kit when I want to record a basic drum track.

19. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

Yep! Equally confident in my drumming and bass playing abilities and I can always find a band on at least one of them. Totally apples and oranges as far as writing parts goes which helps keep you fresh on both instruments. I think it's great to know both sides of the rhythm section whether you gig on both or not.

20. HockeyDawg

HockeyDawg

I bought a cheap used kit and then added a few pieces to it, usually bartering for cybals. It's set up just like the drummer's kit in my main band so that we can practice at my place or his place. I'm not much of a drummer, but I'm trying to get better. The plan is eventually have the drummer and I swap instruments for a song since he can play some bass. Since we are a two piece band, we thought it would be cool. So far the hardest part is for me to play what little drums I can and try to sing. Not working out so good so far.

21. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Used to have a 7 piece Pearl Export kit. I got it cheap from a friend. Once I started buying cymbals I quickly learned drums are insanely expensive. I decided to sell the kit and dedicate my time and effort into learning the guitar. Instead of playing three instruments at a mediocre level I focused on two at a slightly better than mediocre level.