1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

anyone play fretless with a pick?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by flywheel, Sep 12, 2004.

1. flywheel

flywheel

I know most of you would think this is pretty strange but I always play my fretless with a pick. I've always played with a pick b/c I started out as a guitar player and I could always get more attack, muting control, and speed with a pick than I could with my fingers. I tried playing the fretless when I first got it with my fingers for a more smooth tone but I just couldn't get the speed and control I wanted with my fingers. I've already recorded a little jam thing with it and it sounds good to me but I'm just curious if anyone else plays fretless with a pick.

I recently read an article on Joe Osborn and he is also a pick player. Anybody know if he ever used fretless for recording?

2. jenderfazz

jenderfazz

I play with a pick once in a while on my fretless. It has a very unique sound. I like it a lot actually.

3. 74rickbass

74rickbass

I think sting played a fretless Ibanez artist and fretless p-bass with a pick during his earlier police days. It sounded good.

4. Fealach

Fealach Guest

For one song I do. This one song has lots of muted notes, and works best with the deep, dark sound my fretless can do better than my other basses can.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. xcental34x

xcental34x

I'd never use a pick for fretless. It just doesn't feel right....although I'm perfectly ok with playing fretted basses with a pick. :cool:

I almost slapped my oddball friend once for playing a Cort Curbow fretless with a pick in a store, once.

7. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

i play my fretless with roundwounds and a pick with the trebles boosted to a painfull high

gives me a trully abrasive and excellet jaggy sound which allows me to cut through like nuthin else!! gives the sound more character than a fretted bass!!

8. rx jr.

rx jr.

didn't justin chancellor of TOOL do that for "Reflection"?

9. bassaussie

bassaussie

Mate, if it get's the sound you desire, it doesn't really matter if anyone else does it. The only rule is that there aren't any!!

As for Joe Osborn, I don't think I've ever head of him using a fretless, but who knows, maybe he pulled one out for a few sessions.

10. bassaussie

bassaussie

Why? Is there a rule that says that's not allowed? I say more power to him for doing something different.

11. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

couldnt tell you,

not really my bag baybay

12. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw Supporting Member

Tony Levin. Fretless Musicman Cutlass (graphite-neck Stingray) + pick = Sledgehammer. :D

Russ :bassist:

13. bassaussie

bassaussie

Really?!! I always thought he slapped that part.

14. Rusty Chainsaw

Nope, it's picked. Lots of compression, an octaver and a pick. He was talking about it in an old issue of BP. You can hear the pick if you listen carefully.

15. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Yep. He always plays with a pick and that song was done on his fretless Wal

16. bassaussie

bassaussie

Well there you go!!! Who says you don't learn something new every day!! :D

Thanks for that!

17. The Hammer

The Hammer

I could be wrong but I believe that Tony used his funk fingers on that one and "Red Rain" as well. The funk fingers are the drumsticks that he attaches to his fingers to strike the bass with.

18. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

I believe Carles Benavente (Spanish guy, played with Chick Corea for a time a while back) plays fretless with a pick.

On the subject of picks and fretless, I believe it's actually a rather common combination for Middle Eastern oud players.

19. Rusty Chainsaw

I know... I own a pair... :cool:

This was from the horse's mouth in a BP interview a while ago (the one with the orange-ish cover with him holding his 3-string Musicman). According to that interview, there's plenty of other techniques used there as well, including the funk fingers, and the "super wonder nappy bass"! :D

20. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Supporting Member

Media:
    Better in Technique - moved.

21. brianrost

brianrost

Hmmm. lessee...Sting, Rick Danko, Bill Wyman all played fretless with a pick.