Anyone play the new Squire VM Tele basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LanOsb133, Nov 11, 2012.

1. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

2. laklandplayer

laklandplayer

I've been on a buying spree this month. First an Ibanez ATK-805 and then the Squire Tele Special.

The Tele Special is a great bass! I love it, the pickups sound awesome. The neck fit and finish are first rate and it was 299.99 form AMS. NO dead spots on the neck and sustain for days. It has no neck dive. I'm having a blast playing it.

The Ibanez is wonderful too, a totally different animal. I used it on a record date last week and it was excellent in the studio.
  3. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

I have one of those! A really good value. Plays good and sounds just as good. A very pleasant suprise for $300!
  4. bassvi

bassvi

I've had one of these on order since January, supposed to ship next week. I just found it too sexy to resist at that price, and with the quality Squier basses have been putting out recently..... Looking forward to getting it in my hands, hope it's a keeper.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. grrg63

grrg63

I have one, you wont be disappointed.
  7. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

I have the 1-pickup VM tele bass and I love it - plays great, solid built and terrific value.
  8. laklandplayer

laklandplayer

I found the secret to making these a tone monster.

1. Rewire the neck pickup from series to parallel - it tames the extreme low end and gives you better definition and punch. I installed a pull switch tone pot to go from series to parallel.

2. Replace the hum ridden single coil bridge pickup with a real Duncan hot stack for jazz bass. It is much better match for the neck pickup in terms of output and it compliments the neck pu well.

3. replace the tone cap with a .022 orange drop. It take off enough treble without making the tone muddy.

I just ordered a set of hipshot hb7 tuners for mine. The stock tuners are crap and feel cheap.

I love this bass, it is very well made. The neck is great and the fret job is superb.
    The body is a little heavy but I play seated so its not a big deal.

I wish they made it in a 5 string too.
  9. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    If they made a 5 (or a 6, but that'll never happen) I'd be all over it. I'd be modding the electronics though. Probably upgrade at least the bridge pickup, and swap the 3 way switch for a blend pot. Honestly my preference is active electronics, but if I went that far it would probably be more cost effective to have one built for me.
  10. msptvyhn

msptvyhn

The neck fit and finish are first rate and it was 299.99 form AMS. [​IMG]
  11. lolmont

lolmont

I did at my local shop, pretty good quality for the price and sounded nice as well.
  12. laklandplayer

laklandplayer

AMS = American Musical Supply
    I've heard that Warwick is making a 32" scale 5 string that they introduced at the namm show.
    I can't wait ti check it out.
  13. ux4484

ux4484

Wish list....