1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Anyone playing/learning percussions?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by belzebass, Oct 18, 2013.

1. belzebass

belzebass

Hello!

I wonder if there are people playing/learning/toying with percussion instruments as well as bass? You those things like djembe, cajon, darbuka, snare etc.

I was thinking to learn a percussion to open up my musical experience and stay on the rhythmic side of the fence :cool:

So, tips, experience, advice?

Thanks!!!

2. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

My experience is limited, but I've dabbled in percussion, so here's what I have to offer...

I tried this a couple years ago but had to give it up as I live in an apartment building and my neighbors would not abide. So one peice of advice I can offer from my experience is to make sure you have a place to play!

I tried bongos, tabla and dholak. I immediately sucked, couldn't keep a beat or get a decent sound, but after a couple months I found I could keep a beat well enough to jam with people, and things got better from there. Bongos were a fun, easy, and cheap way to start for me. I found some inspiration from youtubing lots of non north american music, like Tito Puente, or Babla and Kanchan, and all kinds of middle eastern and indian music (though there's lots of great percusion from other regions). If you really want your jaw to drop, check out Zakir Hussain.

I actually really miss playing percussion, but I'm not really jamming with anyone these days (other than myself), and I can't practice at home, so my perc collection is gathering dust.

3. belzebass

belzebass

Ha-ha. Now my girlfriend offered me a djembe, and still regrets it dearly :)
    Now I've got a Korg Wavedrum that I can jam in headphones in reasonable hours in my appartment :)

Well, my interest in percussions grows from my tastes in "world" music. Actually, so does my interest in bass :bassist:

I was thinking of working out strokes, and then just jam to the maximum to the recordings. Is it a viable path, or do I really need to go down the "academical" road, with reading and metronome?

By the way, I understand rhythm notation, and I work on bass to the metronome most of the time.

4. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

Haha...ya, "world" music. I wish there was a better term...Glad to hear you're already exploring non western music, there's a lot of interesting stuff out there.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. eukatheude

eukatheude

I play a lot of percussive slap bass. I recently picked up a djembe; i have no theoric knowledge about its playing but i'm enjoying it very much, mostly with other people. Shame it's so loud, i rarely get a chance to play it.

7. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

There is a lot of percussion with pitch so yeah, you can be more than just rythm. I really like xylophone, timpani, hang and hanpan which is kind of like a convex steelpan.

8. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

In my band, I play tambourine, maracas, and the all-important vibra-slap. I am working with wood blocks, and some other percussion, as well.

You can't be a good utility player and ignore percussion. I also used my lips for the backwards cymbal sssssshhhhhh on Sweet Emotion.