1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Anyone playing with DGCF tuning?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KingRazor, Dec 14, 2013.

1. KingRazor

KingRazor

I've been doing this for a little while now and I'm loving it. Playing tunes with standard tuning hasn't really been difficult, I get a couple extra low notes, and don't really lose many high notes, certainly not enough to miss anyway.

And oddly enough some lines have been easier to play.

I see a lot of BEAD and several non standard tunings but don't see people talk about this one much, anyone out there using it?
  2. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

My "originals" band using this tuning....mainly because myself and the singer are Bass and Baritone naturally...and it is easier to sing here then in E or A440 tuning
  3. MikeBallBass

MikeBallBass

From my understanding, Jerry Flowers, Keith Urban's bassist, has a main bass tuned DGCF. He was my influence in trying it, and I love using the tuning when it permits. With the right bass, it can add a lot of character to whatever you may be playing.
  4. fretlessguy

fretlessguy

It's a good concept. I just couldn't (after playing EADG for 30 years) get my mind to adjust to it. I probably would have needed to make all my other 4s to the same tuning to adjust. Some old dogs cannot be taught a new trick.
    Anyway, I found that gauges .55-.110 make an idea set for DGCF Tuning.
  5. Dave Siff

Dave Siff Supporting Member

I played in DGCF tuning for years and loved it, before finally succumbing to the 5-string. I used a .054-.111 set of La Bella strings made specifically for DGCF and they were great.
    I've got a new 5-string on the way and I'm toying with the idea of tuning my other one DGCFBb.
  6. KingRazor

KingRazor

I'm running .043, .059, .079, .106 and it's working just fine. I might go up one to .045, .061, .082, .112.

Since I can't afford a 5-string at the moment, this tuning has been a good substitute.
  7. dje31

dje31

I find it makes playing Tool, which is almost always in that range / tuning, TONS easier, at least for me and my meager skills.
  8. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

Yes, I do have a Precision with DGCF tuning and I love it's sound. I am using 50/55-110 strings. They sound HEAVY and at the same time allow me to do great vibratos and other tricks.
  9. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

I love that tuning.
  10. D.M.N.

D.M.N. Supporting Member

C# Standard's where it's at!

:bag:
  11. KingRazor

KingRazor

I'm actually strongly considering doing that and putting a d-tuner on the C# to tune down to B when needed.
  12. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

I do! Well, ADGCFBb, but same idea. I like the looseness of the strings, and the heavier feel it gets. Which works, as my band is collectively pretty big fans of stoner stuff like The Sword, Sabbath, et al. Two other big users of D Standard that I love are Death and Symphony X.
  13. NecroticImbecil

NecroticImbecil

ADGCF for my 5 strings. Did it many years ago to play songs from Yes' Big Generator. Shortly thereafter started writing for the tuning, and it stuck.

Just set up a sadly abused rescue bass DddGggCccFcc. Truss rod nut stripped, have to tune based on the effect the tension has on the neck bow. Bought from Ebay, ad full of lies, Ebay and Paypal were no help and I was stuck with it. Still in E standard on my 4s and 8s though.
  14. DuShauh

DuShauh Supporting Member

D standard tuning : For sure!

I never thought that I would go "back" to 4 strings until I tried this tuning. It works for me.
  15. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

I currently play C#-F#-B-E and B-E-A-D in my current originals Stoner Rock band.
  16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I absolutely love DGCF! Unless it is for a song that sounds better with an open E, I don't think I will ever play a four with standard tuning again.
  17. CrunchyFrog

CrunchyFrog

I've been using this tuning since the late-1970s. Somehow, I tuned my bass the wrong way to some record I was learning. By the time I figured out what happened, I had learned more songs in D standard that I didn't want to relearn in E.

It's come in quite handy for some material, but has caused some problems on other songs (all covers).

I like it!
  18. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I used to use a DGCF tuning ... until I got a 5 tuned BEADG.

DGCF should be the standard tuning for a 4 string bass.
  19. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

I used to but we dropped it to make our gigs simpler, can't say I miss it.
  20. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

yep, but we play no different to if it was E.

same for C standard.