1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Anyone prefer the Jack Casady over the Lakland Hollowbody?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Nov 17, 2012.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Greetings & Salutations Hollowbody Fans,

I recall the question being posed in reverse of this one in the past, before Chi Sonics were introduced into the Lakland Hollowbody. Do any of you prefer the Epiphone Jack Casady over the Lakland Hollowbody? There was a time a number of years back where I was swayed in the comfort factor of how the Lakland sat on my lap but was ultimately discouraged with how narrow I found the neck. Also, I found the stock barts quite weak and inflexible. Today however, I have found the Jack Casady bass a far more responsive acoustic instrument compared to the Lakland Hollowbody. Please share your thoughts and experiences!
  2. RS

RS Supporting Member

3. GM60466

GM60466

If I could only fit the Lakland bridge on the Epiphone, What a wonderful world it would be.
  4. woodyng

woodyng

I only prefer the price of the JC. The lakland was a much better design overall,but then it should be,since it costs more.
  5. captnmervo

captnmervo

Love the JC, never played the Lakeland
  6. brad houser

brad houser

JC has a more diffuse, non punchy sound, the Lakland is much punchier and stouter, tone-wise. I have played lakland since 2001. the Lakland also balances better on a strap.
  7. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I like the JC over the Skyline semi, soundwise. For a semi-hollow my Lakie didn't sound at all "hollow". No woody tone whatsoever.

Despite being a Mike Tobias design, I thought the Bart pickups were maybe not the best match-up there. Also, I found blending the two pickups [DEL]nearly[/DEL] impossible, and I've read other posts about the same blending issue. Dunno if the USA ones have the same problem?

My JC has its own (ergonomic) quirks but it does sound more like what I expect a semi to sound like..airy and W-I-D-E.

Tastes vary naturally, but for me the JC is the better sounding semi-hollow. Still, I would love to get my hands on a Lakie semi with Darkstars.
  8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Anyone else?