1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Anyone run an SVT with 2 x SVT-15E cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Lagaupia, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Lagaupia

Lagaupia

I'm looking for a more modular setup for my '70's SVT. I found a great deal on a set of 15E cab's (350) and I'm wondering if there is anyone else out there using this setup.

Will it be loud enough to keep up with 2 guitars, keys and a moderately loud drummer?

2. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Not having gigged that setup, I'd still say yes. And if it would not work, there are decently priced and proven 15" drivers for an upgrade.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nysbob on here uses some 15"s with his...not those, but some custom jobbies he got years ago. I think it would be fine. A 215 isn't a quiet rig and puts out approx as much as a 410.

4. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I used to gig and rehearse with a single 115E. Concerns with the ohm imbalance was the primary reason I changed.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    It is a serious long term concern for sure for the output transformer insulation and the output tube set life, perhaps someone could suggest a nominal 4 ohm speaker replacement to suit the SVT 115 cab.

7. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I switched over to an NV610 and been satisfied since, but never had issue with the 115E or my head running in the mismatched configuration. Finally killed it trying to make dubstep sounds for the album linked in my signature-- I believe you can hear it dying if you know where to listen. Ironically, this was via a head that was correctly matched for ohms.:p

8. shoot-r

shoot-r

A few years back I heard a blues/old rock bassist running his old, passive, 4 string, Fender Jazz and his SVT head through two, stacked, Ampeg 115 Classic cabinets.
    No F.O.H.

Sounded "absolutely great" out in the crowd!

9. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

I gigged 2 Ampeg Classic 15 cabs for a while, they rocked! I'd still have it if it were the newer cabs. Mine were older OSB, heavy and dented easily.

10. nysbob

nysbob

Two 8 ohm JBL K145 boxes wired parallel. Works like a champ.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    While the concern about mismatched loads is legit, Bill Hughes, the inventor of the SVT, said on here than an SVT will easily deal with an 8 ohm load and not damage the output transformer or tubes, even if you crank it hard.

EDIT: For clarification purposes, I should mention that cranking tube amps is somewhat hard on tubes even at the right impedances.

12. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    How are Mr Hughes shares in Heyboer transformers doing these days
    Jimmy.:)

13. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I had tried that with a V4 and thought it was a bit boomy.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HA! Actually I believe him based on my experiences. I've done it many times with rentals, and in fact did it the first night I got my Heritage SVT rig because I wasn't used to those multiple speaker hookups, and aside from a slight tightening up/compression thing happening, I never once had a failure on an SVT because of it.