Anyone seen this month's issue of BGM?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Guinness20, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Guinness20

Guinness20

Hi,

I'm a regular reader of Bass Guitar Magazine. Don't know if you've seen it, but on this month's front cover is Duff McKagan. He's got a jazz bass in his hands - a white bass with black pickguard and maple neck and fretboard, with black binding and block inlays.

In the feature article, he explains that he likes jazz basses, and says his current bass is a Geddy Lee jazz bass with a Reggie Hamilton modification to it - what on earth does that mean?!

2. pudgychef

pudgychef

Maybe PJ configuration like the Reggie bass?

3. Guinness20

Guinness20

Well unless he's talking about another bass, the bass he has in his hands is a regular jazz bass.

4. Guinness20

Guinness20

Apologies for me being an utter moron, but it actually is that it's a pj setup. On the cover the image deosn't go down as far at the pickgaurd, he's on the back advertiisng something and on that he's going mad with a pick so you can't see anything...

...Anywho, that's a pretty funky geddy lee - white with black pickguard (normally the opposite) and a pj setup.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

It means that famous players do at times, play other famous players sig guitars.

And the fact that BP mag is still in business, means they have the persistency of mustard gas. ;)

7. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

From what I've heard 'round these parts, the Geddy has some fairly unique features to it. Things that can't be bought "off the shelf" could include it's ultra-slim neck profile and the '70s bridge pickup placement.

What I'm curious about is where he placed the neck pickup…if he used the Reggie-spot or if it's closer to the neck, like on a Blacktop Jazz. I, myself, did the latter on a parts-bass build recently. I'm also wondering if he used an MIJ Geddy, what with his first pro-level bass also hailing from Japan.

8. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

Well, the Reggie Hamilton Jazz is a P/J with the Precision pickup very nearly in the place that Precision basses have it. It has the active three band preamp with an active/passive switch and the Custom Shop version has a passive tone control in the passive mode. The MIM version has a different neck than the standard MIM neck and they come with a Hipshot D-tuner on the E string. Those are the main differences I can think of and it would be hard to know which one he was referring to as the "Reggie Hamilton modification". Of course if he actually knows Reggie Hamilton he could be referring to something that Reggie does to his personal basses that is not found on the Fender models that bear his name. Yet....

Not sure the P/J setup would qualify as the "Reggie Hamilton modification" unless Reggie Hamilton invented the P/J concept and he could have for all I know but in that case I would think we would all call it the Reggie Hamilton modification!

9. Reggie Hamilton

Reggie Hamilton

Disclosures:
    Endorsers: FMIC, ADesigns Audio, Dunlop, T-Rex, Pearlman Mics
    Hi All,

Aside from being a great bass player, Duff is a friend. That happens to be a Geddy Lee neck on a Reggie MIM body, otherwise known as a Geddy Hamilton. I hope that this helps.

All the best,

RH

10. Apolicious

Apolicious

THAT'S a model I'd like to see Fender make :D

11. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

Yowza! Thanks for clarification Mr Hamilton.

Yup, Geddy Lee plays a Jaco Tribute Fretless from time to time.

The OP was referring to Bass Guitar Magazine (UK pub), not "BP" ie Bass Player Magazine (US pub).

12. Guinness20

Guinness20

Are the inlays on the sunburst geddy lee painted on? I'm really surprised that they're painted on on the original black ones.