1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Anyone SLAP with 15's

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by LostInSauce, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Looking into changing my rig up a little. Anyone slap (I don't too often, but it's nice to have the capability) with a 15" cabinet...or even a dual 15" cabinet stack?

Thanks all

2. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Yep. I find my Epifani cab likes it more than my MarkBass but no problems with either.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Newport News, VA via NYC
    Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    If they got tweets, sure!

5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Delawhere
    I use my thumb. A 15 is just too heavy.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    I prefer using a 15", or at least a cab without a tweeter. Hate those slicy icepick highs.

7. Really Bruddah?...Really?

8. truecanadian04

truecanadian04

May 4, 2011
    Canada
    I would run a 15 with four 10's.

9. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    +1.

I also prefer 15", but keep the tweeter turned off. Also keep the highest treble in my EQ turned off.

10. Grey Sarcasm

Grey Sarcasm

Apr 25, 2012
    I enjoy slap sound through 15's even with the tweeter turned lower or off. I've slapped using a Ampeg V4B through a Marshall 215 JCM800 and got an excellent sound. Slap with 15's, to me, definitely is not a problem

11. I hope that's a joke.

To the op, yes I have plenty. There's a million different speaker types in different sizes to yield a million different slap tones. None are right or wrong, just depends on your tone goals and the mix you're playing in.

12. I slap, and use a 15 bag end with no tweeter.

13. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I have an ancient homemade (not by me) 2x15 that has icepick highs without any tweeters. The drivers and amps can make a huge difference even between the same diameter speakers.

14. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
  15. SubNoizeRat3691

SubNoizeRat3691 Lovin' the lows Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Quad Cities, IA
    I use a Yamaha S215III pa main from the mid 80's, 2 original 15s, no tweeter... The slap tone thru that cab is insane!! Just the 2 15s running full range, and the pops are super chrisp.

I love this cab!

16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Anyone SLAP with 15's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yep ... why not

17. lakefx

lakefx Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Eugene
    Yep, I slap a fretless through a JBL K140 and usually need to roll off the highs.

18. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    If you are talking about a cabinet with a 15 (with added tweeters, etc)) , the Audiokinesis TC15 has a nice slap when eq'd to do that.

19. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    The band I play bass in has several slap sections. For that band I use a JBL 15 cab (sometimes with an EVM 15B Pro Series, depending on what mood I'm in) and a Trace 2x10 cab powered by an SWR Bass 350 head, no tweeters. Sounds awesome, either with my aluminum neck Kramer, or my borrowed Carvin LB70P.

20. Whenever I do slap, I'll do it with whatever speakers I'm using. 15", 12", doesn't matter to me, &, yes, preferably without a tweeter;)

21. I don't always slap on 15s,

But when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.