1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Anyone think TC will be upping the BG-family at NAMM 2014?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by terribilino, Dec 23, 2013.

1. terribilino

terribilino

I'm almost sold on the BG-250 115 - nice price, nice sounding amp (so I've read), interesting features (ie. tone print) - the only thing holding me back is that, although I'd be using it mainly as a practice amp, I might do some school orchestra gigs with it - so the louder the better.

Anyone willing to bet they'll be making a good thing better at NAMM 2014 - say, a BG-300, or a BG-350? (The Genz Benz Contour 500 had been my dream combo, but it's difficult to get here in Switzerland, and now that it looks like it's curtains for Genz Benz, I've started to look elsewhere ...).

Thanks!

2. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

That seems mighty unlikely. The line was just revamped and TCE doesn't seem to move through these kinds of changes quickly or with the greatest grace, but you never know.

That said, if you like the sound of the BG250-115 (as much as you've read you might :p), I'm sure you'll find it's loud enough for quite a bit more than use as a practice amp.

3. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

I can't imagine a "school orchestra gig" that the BG250-115 wouldn't be MORE than loud enough for.

I used mine at a corporate party in a large hotel banquet hall once with pro sound (dual 18" subs on each side) and the sound guys told me to turn down on stage - gain on 6 and master about 5!

4. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Yup the BG-250 115 is plenty loud for most gigs.. even smallish outdoor gigs.. It can get pretty loud. Louder than any school event I can imagine. Easy to travel with.. The 112 is a bit smaller if size/weight is an issue. but the 115 isn't much larger.

plus I'd be surprised if any company updates a line in less than 12-18 months. Just too much work and they have to much invested. So I think its safe to say the BG series is going to stay as is until at least next November or so.

Also , don't want too much overlap in your lines.. That would really eat into the head/cab series. You could pick up the 500/750 head and mount it into the RS210c and make your own more powerful combo. At a price. I think any combo would be about the same price anyway if you started going 450-750 watts.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. terribilino

terribilino

... you can all claim your commission from TC.

Cheers, guy.

And Merry Christmas!

7. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Wouldn't that be nice. I'd love a discount but they don't know who I am. :)

I work in IT and buying hardware is similar. Buy the best hardware for the job as you need it and don't keep tracking prices and new models. With few exceptions don't waste time trying to time new models.

8. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    If the guitarist in the school orchestra look like this:
    [​IMG]
    I can.:D:bassist:

9. drpepper

Merry Christmas!

Ha, not looking for a commission or even to "convince" per se; just sharing info and opinion.

Being that you're still in the buying process and haven't heard the amp in person, I will toss in the suggestion that you might add the 210 to your consideration. They sound pretty similar, but for the differences, I'd have to say I preferred the 210.

Here's a quick comparison I made while I had a demo unit.

The 210 is a bit tighter sounding and lacks the slightly "nasal" overtone that I and some others have found in the 115.

10. terribilino

terribilino

I'd missed your reply - thanks for the heads up. Excellent video, by the way - I wish all the manufacturers' websites would provide such simple, head to head comparisons.

BTW, that singer is nailing Michael Stipe. Great job all around.

Have a great new year!

11. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

How do you...? Oh, ok. Sorry.

(I know, I'm silly.)

12. terribilino

terribilino

Oh man... I walked into that one.

13. drpepper

Thanks. I hoped it would be helpful when I decided to do it, and I think it got there. I turned the camera on and couldn't think of what to play. And then it definitely had the issue of the amps being too loud for what I was doing for no good reason...you can't really tell how loud they are in a video anyway, and it was causing everything around the room and house to vibrate and buzz. At the end of the day though, I think it does show the difference between the amps, same volume, same EQ (settings), same song in pieces cut together, and both amps suffering equally from the buzzes and vibrations.

And thanks for the compliment on the singer. That video hardly shows it, but he is an excellent singer. I feel very fortunate that the groups I'm in now all have very good lead singers. I've played with and heard a lot of sub-par singers. That's definitely the hardest spot to fill, but it's such a pleasure to play with really good vocals.

14. ProdigalBassman

ProdigalBassman

I had a Gallien Kruger MB210 (350W to internal twin 10" drivers). Did a side by side in the sound room at my GC and the BG250 was perceptably louder and I was able to dial in a broader range of tones. The GK MB210 has prominent mids you can't tame.

I also did a side by side with the BG250 vs. an Ibanez Promethean half stack (500W head into an 8ohm 410 cab). Granted, the Ibanez head is 500W into a 4 ohm load, so maybe 350W into 8 ohms. The half stack was a pinch louder and fuller than the BG250, but weighs much more!

Right now the Genz Benz Contour 500 is a hot combo worth looking into also. With an extension cab you'd get the full 500W.

Hope this helps!

15. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic

I will tell you what I find at the TC booth tomorrow. If you're into class D, the Traynor Small Block was the nicest thing I've played at the show so far. I got a lot of great tones out of it, as I recall it was driving a 4-10 cab, it really cranked, not at all brittle. Ashdown also has a class D on display, I'll definitely play it tomorrow. It's is a real bummer about Genz Benz, they really had a great thing going, that Shuttle Max 9 paired with 4-10s was amazing. A student of mine had one, just jaw dropping power and pleasant clarity on electric and electric upright. The Traynor is excellent, NAMM isn't exactly the best demo setting but it definitely rivals the Genz, had no trouble cutting through the cacophony at the show anyway. Looking forward to seeing TC tomorrow, will let you know. I personally like small rigs and class D clarity, I was all set to get an Epifani but the Traynor is giving me pause.

16. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic

There was no larger TC combo than the 250, but I can tell you it's as nice a combo as you could want, very warm. I don't like combos myself, and wasn't too crazy about the TC 2-12 and 2-10 speakers I played out of with the 750 watt head, EH-750 I think, could be wrong about the model number. I can tell you the 750 head itself is absolutely awesome, if you have any headroom concerns about the 250 combo, the 750 head will erase them. Very versatile, the "fake tube" works, great attack you'd expect from class D, a hiss free tweeter emulator... And Uriah Duffy, their endorser there, said the have a combo with that head planned, or in production. I wouldn't get the combo myself, but the head in a heartbeat. The TC speakers sound great but got really rattly after about 50% volume from the 750 watt head. It's tough to tell what the upright tone would be, I wouldn't say it's a transparent sounding amp, I'd love to demo it with my electric upright but I don't know where to do so. You can save 3 presets on the head too, the others I'm considering for my next purchase (Epifani, Traynor) don't have that capability. Off to Ashdown...

17. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Will TC expand their tone print service to some new products at any point?

18. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic

Unfortunately I'm not still at the show to ask about the tone print on other gear. My feeling is that that's for the more "consumer" stuff, like the combos. They were definitely pushing that more than the "pro" stuff anyway, they didn't even have their 1600 watt head there. I don't mean to sound snobby, I just don't know a better term than consumer/pro. I use plenty of consumer stuff when it's good :) I can tell you that the 750 watt head with its 3 presets and deep editing capabilities would be more suitable for gigging, at least for me, since you have to push one button for up to 3 different tones (it's actually one button Per preset, so 3 buttons total, no fumbling on stage) no knob turning, and spot adjustments would be simple. You'd have to do your own tinkering, but you could dial in any tone the combos are capable of. That all said... The Epifani stuff is ridiculous, and I said I didn't like combos before, then I played the Phil Jones super flightcase... All I can say is I've got a tough decision to make soon. I think the TC head can go toe to to with those boutique brands, but the TC speakers aren't in the same league. A TC on top of a couple Epifani 112's? The mind reels... So does the wallet...