Anyone tried a Hotspot monitor?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Misty Mountain, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain

Looking at a monitor just for vocals, and was wondering if any of my fellow TBers have tried the Galaxy HS7 or an equivalent? All I need it to do is give me a decent amount of volume for my voice. Any thoughts?

2. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

I've run into the HotSpots from time to time, and I frequently sub with a GB band that uses the TC Helicon VSM300s on stands.

For vocals (or for vox + some high-passed instrument support) they work fine. I can't see them on really loud stages. OTOH, by keeping the monitoring by the vocalists' mics, they can help keep the stages from getting too loud.

For the right kinds of gigs, they sound decent, and the BL who owns them swears by them for simplifying load-in and set-up.

3. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

I've tried them... not as cool as should be expected.

The Kustom PW50 (or Powerwerks) is a much mor solid piece at lower budget.

Why not IEM?

4. No Neck Shrek

No Neck Shrek

It work great if your stage volume isn't too loud, or maybe I'm just starting to have some "old age" problems. :(

I've got one like new with the mic boom mount for sale. PM me if interested.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Balog

Balog

We use them a lot, but stage volume is low for us. Works great for a lady who's deaf in one ear and likes to get the monitor up close and personal with her face on the side that still works.

7. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain

We're trying to keep the stage volume low, and the only thing I will run through the hot spot monitor is my vocal and some of the BL's vocal (enough to make sure we're in tune w/each other.)

8. Dave Muscato

Dave Muscato

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    If you halve the distance between your ear and your stage monitor, you can also halve the output level from the monitor and maintain the same perceived volume. I.e. everytime you double the distance, you must also double the volume. So just putting the monitor closer to your ears will help with stage volume immensely. I wouldn't use hotspots for bass but they're fine for vocals, etc.

9. J.D.B.

J.D.B.

I tried one in a church. It was good as long as I kept my head very near it.

Josh

10. jaywa

jaywa

They're worthless for carrying anything but vocals and acoustic guitar, and at anything above conversational stage volume.

For low volume acoustic/vocal type things though, they can get the job done.

11. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    This is my experience as well.

I played with a drummer who used one all the time and really liked it. He's anchored in one spot there behind the kit and would keep it within 2-3 ft. of him and could adjust his own level with the L-pad. No lowend in it obviously but we weren't playing anything near big enough to need anything other than vocals in it.

I've found them ok for vocals if mounted right there with your mic stand and if you're anchored at your mic, or at least planted in one spot all night. (the OneSpot monitor:smug: ). I much prefer floor wedges for a fuller sound and being able to hear things moving around stage some. They sound pretty thin with guitar coming through them, but better than nothing.

12. baba

baba

I've played with singers and horn players who used them. They seemed to work well for them.

13. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain

All I need it for is when I'm singing (either backup or lead), I can hear everything else just fine, but I'm the type of singer who needs to hear the vocals, mine especially, to be able to stay on key.

14. bassplayerbob

bassplayerbob

I used one for a while. Never had a issue hearing myself at all. 4 pc rock cover band and it sat on a stand next to my mic stand. Only need to hear it when i am singing. I also had a TC Hellicon model too. Loved that one. It came with a little box that you plug your mic directly into and then it connects to the board. Then your monitor feed plugs into input 2. All of the volume controls are at you fingertips for a nice personal mix.