Anyone tried Ashdown VS112 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by boristhespider7, Nov 5, 2012.

1. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

There's so few reviews of this cab on the net. Has anyone tried it out? If so, how does it handle the low end and mids ? Any farting out? The specs seem fairly low so i'm concerned it would get overloaded easily

I also have the all valve Little bastard 30 and am able to get the VS112 for a really good deal online. Is it worth it or should i look else where?

BTW, just considering the VS112 not the 212, as i want something lightweight and compact.

2. YuppyPunk

YuppyPunk

I have the VS212 which I beleive has a similar tone. It has a deep, warm tone without being boomy. You can't get a harsh tone out of it, and I've tried. It's the exact opposite of a "modern" sound. I switched from a cheapish 410 and this cab puts out a lot more lowend volume.

3. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

anyone have experince with the 112?

4. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

OK you guys, looks like i'll have to do this myself ;-) Just brought myself a VS112 had a quick 5 mins tonight. More impressive than i thought for the price. Def old school tone with no horn or tweeter but smooth with lots of warm low end with my LB30. Will gig it tomorrow and report back

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

OK here's the review:

Pro's:
    Small footprint/compact
    Lightweight - you can carry it 1 handed (along with the LB30 you have an all valve amp and cab that you can carry one in each hand!)
    "Classic" warm tone. Compliments the LB30 well. Low end, some low mids, not much high end
    Great vintage look with grill cloth
    Volume - pleasantly surprised at how much this can push out, even though its only 150W RMS (i know these figures are pretty meaningless). Would handle small to medium gig IMO, but wouldn't compete against a loud drummer or guitarists 4x12
    Price - really cheap for a cab. I found it really well priced on Amazon
    Def feels well made and robust

Con's
    Placement of handle - its on the top where you'd want to place the LB30 or other head. The head then sits on top of the cab handle so doesn't sit straight or level. Who designied this?:scowl: If you then tip it on its side the logo and feet are not vertical. I can live with it (i use a cheap piece of carpeting under the cab so it doesn't get stratched up by the floor) but this could of been avoided in the design phase
    Not great for a modern or hi-fi sound (no tweeter or horn)

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
  8. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Great review...really echo's my experience with this set up too. Really glad i got both the LB30 and the VS112 for an all valve mini amp set up!

9. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    I have a question about the VS112 cab...

Has anyone tried to use two of these with the Ashdown LB30?

Can this even be done without modifying the cabinets?

I'm am currently using two Ashdown 110 cabinets that originally were part of a perfect ten mini rig; I modified them so that they could be used together (the speakers are 16 ohms, by daisy chaining them, I get 8 ohms). They work really well for recording, practice & low volume gigs, but I would like two see how two of these VS112's would sound; it would be cool to be able to get a little more volume for playing live.

That would put the LB30 pushing 4 ohms (there is a output jack for 4 ohms); Has anyone used a 4 ohm load with their LB30?

This is the LB30 with the 110 cabinets; makes for a really cool little (& loud for it's size) rig.
    [​IMG]

Moonshine :bassist:

10. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

The VS112 is an 8 ohm cab, so yep you could use 2 VS112's with the LB30 and it would make an 8ohm load without any alterations. Or you could use 1x VS112 which is a 4 ohm load (but not as portable as 2 x VS112 IMO). Would make a v lightweight and portable all valve rig capable of some v cool overdriven tones:bassist:

11. moonshinegtrs

Disclosures:
    Okay. Now I am slightly confused...

The VS112 cab is 8 ohms. There is only one 8 ohm speaker output & one 4 ohm output on the back panel of my LB30.

How can I use two VS112 and how can the load end up being 8 ohms?

As for one VS 112 being 4 ohms...

This is off of Musician's Friend's website:
    "The VS-112-200 is rated at 150W with 8-ohm impedance, and features a 12” loudspeaker."

My head hurts...

12. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Oops...my bad :eek: Just re-read my post and got that badly back to front. I thought the VS212 (single cabinet featuring 2 x 12" speakers) came in 4 ohm version. Having just checked that comes only in 8 ohm too (is it me or did there used to be a 4 version?). Ashdown website has now changed and they no longer show the legacy speakers, maybe they are dropping the VS112 and VS212 speakers from their range? :(

Using 2 x 8 ohm cabinets give you a 4 ohm load. As there isn't a parallel jack out on the VS112, you would have to connect 1 VS112 to the 4 ohm speaker out of the LB30 and connect a speakon from the connected VS112 to the speakon of the other VS112. Just make sure you connect them all before turning on the LB30. That would give you the correct load 4 ohm load

13. moonshinegtrs

Disclosures:
    Cool. This makes me feel better (except the part about the VS112 & 212 series cabs possibly going away... That was my thought too).

Thanks for answering my question. I thought I could do this, but wasn't sure.

Has anyone tried running the little bastard at 4 ohms (gotta love that name :D)?

14. gscroggin

gscroggin Supporting Member

Yes, I have paired it with one of my Schroeder 1212BMFs and a Genz Benz Neox 212. It got surprisingly loud...you can read more about it in this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/l...fficial-club-960665/index26.html#post14960991

The other reason I bothered resurrecting this thread is that I just pulled the trigger on an Ashdown VS-112 to pair with my LB-30 for recording. The 2x12's are just too much without an overall Gain/Volume! Very excited and I'll grab some sound clips once I get it set up.