1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Anyone tried free photoshop flyer templates from indieground?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mizzou541, Apr 3, 2014.

1. mizzou541

mizzou541 Supporting Member

I just play in a small time bar band but I was searching for free flyer templates and I happened upon this site:

http://www.indieground.it/2012/11/free-flyer-template-vol-2/

I don't have photoshop but just curious if anyone has messed with these? Is it pretty simple for someone familiar with photoshop to basically swap out pictures and edit the text? Probably oversimplifying it but looks like a cool way to get something professional looking.

2. Deathblade Eric

Deathblade Eric

Just had a look & his specifications look spot on if you're going to get them printed out commercially. One thing to note though is that he's set the page size as A4, which is fine for us LeftPondians, but not so good if your Print Shop is expecting Letter size artwork.

It's easy enough to adjusting the page size in Photoshop, but may require shuffling the existing artwork around to get everything to fit just so. The page is slightly oversized (A4 + 5mm) which is good as it means he's included 'bleed' which allows the printer to trim the page down so you don't get a white border.

In the help text file he gives a link to one free typeface that he uses, but not for the other. A quick hunt on Google produced a result though. He omits to mention that you need all four fonts for one typeface, which will cause font substitution that can really foul up the artwork. Not the end of the world, but not quite as Plug 'n' Play as you might have been expecting.

The one thing I can't really forgive him for is his claim that it is 'print ready'. Sending his artwork 'as is' to a commercial print shop is likely to result in a mess. You cannot (& should not) expect a printer to hold every typeface in the world, neither will they have the time or inclination to correct mistakes without charging you extra cash. When I've sent artwork to print I always make sure that it's a flattened 300dpi CMYK Tiff file, as that gets around any font issues.

So... in summary...

Yes, I think it's a good way to get a pretty slick-looking poster or flyer without a huge amount of work, BUT if you're a noob at Photoshop for Print you're likely to be left floundering (& possibly out of pocket).

Photoshop isn't compulsory for this either. Any package will do provided it can handle layered artwork and work natively in CMYK. To be honest, not many can as most are aimed at web designers or home users where only working in RGB is fine.

Pete.

3. mizzou541

mizzou541 Supporting Member

I downloaded a trial version of Photoshop and it worked. I was able to add the picture easily and edit text. Ran into a little trouble because I was missing some of the needed fonts but otherwise it was super easy and looks fantastic.

4. Deathblade Eric

Deathblade Eric

Cool.

Before you send it to a printshop, give them a call & discuss their requirements. Some are super-picky, others less so.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. skot71

skot71 Guest

VERY important. I'm the prepress guy at a University print shop. One 2 minute conversation before designing or submitting a job can and usually does eliminate most headaches getting something printed.

7. fastplant

fastplant

The only issue I see with this is if it becomes popular and you start seeing different bands all with the same poster. That could be embarassing.

8. Musky

Musky

For those that don't have Photoshop, Adobe made CS2 a free, non-trial download last year (accidentally apparently).

Obviously it doesn't have some of the fancier, content aware stuff of the newer versions, but if you've done without PS for this long you won't want any of that anyway. :)

You just need to create an Adobe account - https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=cs2_downloads&loc=en

9. mpm32

mpm32

I used one of those templates for this poster. If you tweak it enough, it will end up looking nothing like the original.

[​IMG]