1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Anyone tried one of these: Zenison Silent Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fat Steve, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it. Supporting Member

Hello All, ran across this on Amazon, and it piqued my interest:

[​IMG]

At $150 I don't expect it to be the best quality, but I was wondering if any of you have actually used one. I'm aware that it's not a P Bass with a tort pick guard, so it is not worthy of many of you fine men and women, but if anyone has played one please chime in.

Personally, I see some mod-potential.
  2. awilkie84

awilkie84

I like the headstock. I don't see much of a point to this, though, when I can just play my existing basses unplugged & still have enough resonance to hear what I'm doing. is there a pickup under that bridge, or something?
  3. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Looks trippy. Amazon--you can return it easily no? You should get one & post sound clips /do a review real quick. If it sucks, send it back.
  4. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos Supporting Member

I think you should get it and let us know how it is! :D You can always return it if it sucks.
  5. Fat Steve

I want to but the funds are a bit tight from the holidays.
  6. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos Supporting Member

Man do I hear that!
  7. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Poplar neck would be my only worry; not sure how strong/stable that is for a neck wood.

I have one of the Yamaha Silent guitars, very similar design and idea except on the Yamaha the body frame disassembles for easy transport. Makes a great travel instrument. That would be a nice upgrade to this design.

In general, the Yamaha is a joy to play and own, and I'd expect the same from this one.

/rick
  8. abarson

abarson

9. verycoolname

verycoolname

Saw one of these on eBay and was also fascinated. At $150 I'd buy it solely for the novelty (not to mention the lightning bolt inlays :D)...who knows, maybe it's an awesome bass. Saw a picture here recently of someone gigging one of these.

Edit: abarson just linked to the picture I mentioned, from member rtslinger...

[​IMG]
  10. blueskyjaunte

blueskyjaunte ^- Mwahnster Supporting Member

Whatever it is, it's really, really cool looking! :D
  11. rtslinger

rtslinger

Oh no my secret is out! ha ha ha

It is cool I had to modify the electronics (control pots needed to be re-soldered) to my liking and file the nut a little but other than that it is good.

Active pickup in the bridge has good volume and it was easy to get a good sound right out of the box

sample: live show outdoors middle of a forest nothing for miles eq BDi21 direct to Bose L1 out to two B1 subs no stage amp video recorded w/Iphone

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=705785436117564&set=vb.115068763233&type=3&theater

If you are going to buy one expect to modify it to make it gig ready
    oh did I mention for you guys with back pain it weights nothing I mean lighter than and acoustic/electric bass guitar I have a Epi El Segundo the shipping info said 9.5 pounds there is no way it ways that much!
  12. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Does it suffer from neck dive?
  13. rtslinger

rtslinger

No the strap buttons are place in the correct position to avoid neck dive at least I did not have that problem
  14. bh2

bh2

I likee... I'd be tempted to remove the outer horns... and a defret of course!
  15. pfox14

pfox14

How does it generate any volume?
  16. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

Do a search here in TB. I've seen these discussed before. I seem to recall the discussion being more negative than positive, but I don't remember the specifics.
  17. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

18. Fat Steve

Yeah, I'd seen those before, and was aware of how not new the idea was. I just had never seen one for a toy bass.
  19. abarson

abarson

A search on "Zenison" only turns up this thread.
    Maybe it's being confused with the Aria Sinsonido
    http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/720/title/aria-sinsonido/cat/13

or Sojing skeleton bass?
    http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1503/title/sojing-skeleton-bass/cat/13
  20. abarson

abarson

It doesn't, as it's not an acoustic instrument.
    The pickup is a piezo and senses string and body vibration.