Anyone try acoustic guitar thru a Mesa Walkabout?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by nosajwp, Jan 7, 2013.

1. nosajwp

nosajwp

Interested to hear how it turned out...I imagine it would sound pretty nice.

2. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Why haven't you tried it?:meh:

3. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

I played my Taylor and Strat through it with a Thunderchild 15. Couldn't resist. Sounded great in the basement. I didn't gig with it. Generally I just go into the PA when I play guitar.

4. lpdeluxe

I don't think spending $1.2K for an amp that is terrific for bass and then using it for something else is the best use of your money. Just sayin'.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nosajwp

nosajwp

I know...I'm thinking of getting one for bass...if people have good experiences with one for guitar or acoustic, all the more better.

7. lofreq64

lofreq64

I have an old Alvarez with a nice L.R. Baggs pickup system in it. Sounds pretty damn good through the Walkabout Scout 12 in the bedroom just messing around. I don't gig on 6 string so I can't comment about gig-worthiness.

8. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

If you play bass and guitar and you can use the same amp for both then it's seems like you're using your money wisely. Especially if you buy the 1.2k amp for 500.

I've played guitar through several bass amps. I've even heard of people that play electric through bassmans.:p

9. lpdeluxe

I hadn't thought of that. I play bass, electric guitar and Dobro, and I have suitable amplification gear for each. I never considered needing one-amp-fits-all. A friend has a Carvin AG100D http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitaramps/acousticseries.php
    and loves it. It works for acoustic guitar, bass, and vocals.

10. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Acoustic guitars generally sound very good through bass amps.

11. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

I have used my Walkabout Scout effectively for guitar for more Jazz-style smooth midrange tones. I have used it with both electric and acoustic in this capacity- I don't think the amp or cab have enough going on up top to give you the super clarity/flatness of most dedicated acoustic amps, but I am only a recreational guitarist and it sounds great for the kind of tones I like and gets nice and loud! I definitely ould want a dedicated preamp for acoustic though to fight feedback, as the extended bass response of the Scout cab can be a problem there...

12. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

I forget his name, but there's a fairly prominent jazz guitarist who plays his hollowbody archtop through a Scout 15 combo with truly amazing results.