Anyone Use Compressor in FX Loop?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chaosMK, Feb 20, 2014.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I have been on the fence about getting a good compressor for a while. I typically run my tube amps pretty saturated (6550 power section juiced), so things compress a bit naturally. Sometimes when I am tapping I wish I could take a dash of the edge off.

I love the MPulse onboard compressor. I imagine it (and other onboard compressors) engages after the preamp and EQ stages.

Wouldnt running a compressor in the FX loop have an essentially similar effect? I think that I want the compression added in at "the end".

Interested in the MXR.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  3. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Bongo... is there something specifically useful in this article? I know what an FX loop is... I use mine all of the time. It's at instrument level. Your web site is cool though, very comprehensive.

4. bongomania

Disclosures:
    Well, since you already know that that particular loop is at instrument level then no, there's nothing in that article you need to read. :) Most people do not know much about the levels in their fx loop, which is why I posted it.

Most loops are post preamp and post EQ, but there are some exceptions, so you'd need to check the manual or block diagram for that amp to know.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

@Bongomania- I'm not new to playing bass but I'm new to the technical aspect of decibals and effects loops etc etc. I started using a Rocktron "Hush" pedal and my friend insists it works better through an effects loop. Would you agree? Would you run a tremolo through your effects loop as well since it is I'm guessing a modulation type effect?

7. bongomania

Disclosures:
    Hi, please read that article and then ask what has not been answered. :)