1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Anyone use Gold Evo Fretwire?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by CptanPanic, Sep 15, 2009.

1. CptanPanic

CptanPanic

I was reading about the Gold Evo Fretwire from lmi, and was wondering how it played, and how it was working with it.
    Thanks,
    CP

2. automan

automan

I haven't done a refret with it, but I have done a fret dress level and crown on them before. I thought they worked fine. They take a triangle file crown and polish quite well.

3. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

I have them on my Space Bass. Little brighter than nickels, but not brighter than stainless. Feels good under the finger, but mine is the smaller fretwire. The gold color is not outstanding, so it's not very noticeable.

Over 1 year of constant playing and no noticeable wear. So, I guess it's ok...so far.

4. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Disclosures:
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    It is harder than nickel and softer than stainless. Expect to go through tools if yours are not quality.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. T. Brookins

T. Brookins

I used them on my bass and they are brilliant.
    They're harder than standard, softer than stainless, and add a nice, brilliant edge to your tone with new strings and excite higher frequencies from dead strings. very percussive.

They wear great too. very durable. Subtle color is not gaudy and works on everything.

7. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Easy to work with good tools.

They polish to a brilliant gold lustre.

They look best with medium-dark fingerboards like cocobolo, rosewood, walnut, etc.

As for tonal qualities, I can't say. In order to objectively make an assessment like that, extraordinary measures would have to be taken. I advise you to take anecdotal "evidence" with a few pounds of salt.

8. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    At least a Kilo.....well put Mark, totally agree on the tonal supposition.

9. miziomix

miziomix Über on my mind Supporting Member

I will use them for the first time on one of my upcoming builds. I should receive the parcel any day now. The owner asked for Gold Evo specifically as he likes them on one of his other basses. I only hear good things about them, including all replies in this thread ;)

Gold frets to me are visually more challenging. Not every bass will look good with those. It's cool if the gold colour is subdued.

10. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I buy my wire directly from Jesscar, the maker of the Gold EVO wire, I love the stuff. I offer it as an option on my basses and guitars. I prefer not to use stainless, and have a significant upcharge for it as SS destroys files, takes twice as long to level and polish, and is generally unpleasent. Evo Wire lasts almost as long as SS and is tool friendly...LOL

I think it adds an extra touch of style like on the old Warwicks, but it's basically all personal taste. :p