Anyone use Head and Shoulders?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Icey101, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Icey101

Icey101

2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I've used it for decades, but I also use conditioner (usually Redken, sometimes I skip this) and in the past few years a leave in moisturizer (Neutrogena Triple Moisturizer) as well. I've had thin, dry hair for years and if left untreated dandruff, but these have helped keep my healthy. I also use them in my beard :)

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've never had dandruff in my life, but I use Head and Shoulders as a prophylactic measure just in case. It puts a coating of wax on your hair. I actually prefer the highly detergent shampoos like Prell because they make my hair so feathered, but my hair gets too dry so I don't use them.

4. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    OK, I read the anecdotal stuff. People. Especially you men. Your hair is going to thin with age, sometimes at a young age depending on your genetic predisposition. My hair has been thinning for the last 5 or 10 years. Now I've developed an elaborate comb-over that makes the hair loss virtually undetectable. See my profile picture. I'm 65, BTW.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

I use listerine when I get head or beard dandruff.

7. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

I use H&S once or twice a week, otherwise I wash my hair with good ole Ivory soap. Just get a good lather and rub it in.

8. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    You know, Andy Rooney did a bit on why have shampoo for the head and soap for the body. Why not just use soap for everything? (Which he did, and he died.)

OK, I'll tell you why. Have you ever heard the shampoo ads that tout the "low pH" of their product? Low pH is acidic. Now the shampoo is mildly acidic, and there's a reason for this.

Soap is mildly alkaline. Taken to an extreme, let's say you put a highly alkaline substance like ammonia on your skin. It would essentially dissolve your skin, turning it to a soap-like substance as it sloughs off your muscles and sinews. By making soap mildly alkaline, it softens the billions of dead skin cells on the surface so they can be easily scrubbed off and washed away.

On the other hand you don't want your hair, which is also dead, to be attacked by the alkaline soap because it will make it dry and brittle, causing significant damage over the long term. You'll end up with those nasty split ends.

So stick with shampoo for your hair, and soap for your body. And tell Andy Rooney to buzz off.

9. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

i stopped using head and shoulders when i ran out about a month ago, it was the first time i didn't use it in over 15 years, after about three weeks my scalp started to develop super gross fish tank gravel type crusty dandruff, needless to say i started using it again immediately

10. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough Supporting Member

Haven't used it in years.

Way back in high school I thought maybe the tv commercial was right. Maybe I couldn't get dates because of the flakes. Ewwww

So I bought some Head and Shoulders and used it every day.

Then I couldn't get dates because of the weeping sores on my face. Seems I'm allergic to one of the active ingredients

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

12. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

I've used H&S for years, as a shampoo to get rid of dandruff but also as a body wash.

From time to time I get a skin condition called tinea versicolor. The active ingredient in dandruff shampoo stops it and keeps it in check. :)

13. Milk

Milk

I hate the smell of it and it doesn't give me good hair. I used it as a teen cause my dad did and sometimes its all the shampoo there was. I have to say, i've had trouble finding good shampoo those past few years. They seem to all make my hair thin and nasty.

14. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

I do - I have terrible dandruff otherwise. I use Head & Shoulders on my daughter, too; the poor girl inherited my hair. I rarely use conditioner (the shampoo doesn't negatively affect my texture, plus I'm too lazy) but always use it on my daughter.

I've used the coal tar shampoos like T/Gel - I go through phases where they work, then they stop working. I am currently in a "T/Gel isn't working" phase, so H&S will do until it stops working :p

15. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

I used it as a teen. I'm sure they market that stuff to appeal to every ounce of teenage self-loathing and feeling of inadequacy.

"Dandruff? Son, will you ever get laid with hair like that????"

Like most shampoos I found that it either made my hair brittle dry or lank and greasy. There was a honeymoon period where it actually worked... found the same with Aussie shampoo (which at least smells like a headshop).

I had a fairly rough working relationship with my hair though. I grew it out to shoulder length, then shaved it all off when I went to college. I then dyed it a vast range of colours, peroxiding as I went. I ended up with hair so baked that I had to revert to Johnson's Baby Shampoo....

16. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

I don't have dandruff but I have to use 'Clarifying' shampoo or something that washes out easily, otherwise I end up with a very bad scalp (not dandruff). My hair is very thick and there are always deposits left in it of the shampoo. It's annoying, to say the least. I found Head & Shoulders to be the worst in that regard.

I also shampoo and condition my beard. Got to be done!

17. pedroims

pedroims

H&S do nothing to me , I use Selsun Blue once a week.

18. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I am not happy with this thread.

Men sharing hair tips?

Just stop it.

19. Milk

Milk

It's selfish of you to not share with your "bros" the secrets to your beautiful long curly locks.

20. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Who you callin a man? I R TROLL! I R MITEY!

21. giacomini

giacomini Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    I use it regularly. If I stop for a month or so dandruff comes back, especially in winter time.

Bought a discount "world cup" pack, they all smell like watermelon.