anyone use SIT strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by runmikeyrun, May 6, 2012.

1. runmikeyrun

runmikeyrun

I've always used Ernie Balls, but I'm just wondering if these are any good. They're made locally, so I was looking to support a local company if possible. The search didn't really reveal any detailed reviews.

I play with a lot of grit and don't want a super bright sound as my amp is already pretty bright.

Thanks in advance.
  2. angelopbass

angelopbass

i also live in the area (youngstown). the strings are great. not as bright as an ernie ball, waaay more longf lasting, and an overall great tone.
  3. runmikeyrun

runmikeyrun

that was exactly what I wanted to hear... I am going to pick a set up! Thanks man. R.I.P. Nyabinghi :(
  4. extreme

extreme

I'm a fan of S.I.T.'s. They are my 2nd favorite roundwounds behind Rotosound 66s.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fretlessguy

fretlessguy

SITs are my "go-to" rounds these days. Long lasting and inexpensive. Did I mention they sound superb?
  7. greenfretless

greenfretless

I have a set on a couple shorter scale basses they came with. I love them. They have the right tension and sound great on my 28.5" scale bass (which is also a 5-string, if you can believe that!!).
  8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    SIT strings are the strings I use and have been using for a very long time.

They make several series and they all are of superior quality.

I have a set of SIT power flats on my Wilkins P bass and they kill.

SIT endorser
  9. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

I'm looking into trying some new strings. I used SIT Power Wounds for a while a few years back but don't remember much about them... :(

I'm curious if someone (Jauqo) or anyone else can tell me: how smooth are these strings to the touch? Is the outter winding pretty rough?

I've been using DR and Dunlop as a reference point.
  10. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

The only SIT strings I've used are their Power core. They are pretty smooth and full sounding. Worth a try, I liked them and I am mainly a steel user
  11. UprigBassJunkie

UprigBassJunkie

They were good but IMO I like the low riders the best.
  12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    The strings are definitely smooth to the touch for.
  13. MattS

MattS

I've been using SIT PowerSteels for the past 12 years. I like them alot. I've tried several ghs types, ernie ball, d'addario, DR lo riders, etc... I found the SIT PowerSteels to be similar in quality (stainless steel on a hex core) and feel, but for about half the price of the DR's. Great stuff... wish I had an endorsement haha.
  14. madbassplaya

Thanks for the info Jauqo!

I know you use a smaller gauge than I do, but do the SIT strings feel pretty balanced? D'Addario has a tension chart but it seems to me some pre packaged strings are more balanced than others. D'Addario's don't feel balanced at all to me right out of the package.
  15. madbassplaya

Also, has anyone tried the Ellefson set? I ask not because of him (I am a fan) but because I typically really dig a .128 B string!
  16. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    You're welcome.

Yes I do use a lighter gauge than most players but I do use standard gauges on some of my bass and the string tension really is balanced.

I personally have never played a set of SIT strings that did not feel balanced. A balanced set is very important to me. I stumbled across SIT strings years ago after picking up about 8 or 9 different basses and the strings felt very nice overall and each time I would ask, what type of strings were on the bass? and each time I was told SIT strings and from there I was sold and I've been using them ever since.
  17. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I used to use them when I played rock music more. They were always great strings and made right here in my city so they are really easy to find.
  18. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

I remember using SIT's on my G&L L2500, nice and punchy strings.

Does the Ellefson set use a tapered B string? If so, I'll have to try a set.
  19. madbassplaya

Me too, man. I think I'm gonna give SIT's a shot again.

I don't think the Ellefson set has a tapered B, but I know they make a couple of sets with tapered B's. One is even designed for thru body stringing. You may have used those on your G&L.
  20. Mikhail1

Mikhail1

I'm interested as well, specifically the Powerwound nickels in .040-.095/.100. Can anyone tell me what the tension is like? I currently am using both D'Addario and Dean Markley in these gauges. Thanks!
  21. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

The Powerwounds are very nice sounding strings; that's what I use when I'm in a nickel roundwound mood. I also tried the Powersteel's once, but didn't really like them because they're just not as bright as other SS brands.