Anyone use Superior Drummer? Having problems...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Mikhaijlovich, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Mikhaijlovich

Mikhaijlovich

So for lack of a dedicated drummer, my band has been using a Pro Tools plugin called Strike to take midi drum sequences and sample them to sound like realistic drum tracks for our recordings. But it wasn't till recently that we've become dissatisfied with the sounds, as we've been told by everybody and their grandmother that our drums still sounded synthetic.

Naturally, we decided to upgrade to something a little more "industry standard", and we've seen how awesome Superior Drummer sounds with artists such as Fear Factory, Ola Englund, and Keith Merrow, so we went for it.

One big problem, though: there seems to be a GROSS amount of reverb on all pieces of the kit, especially the toms (there's seriously so much reverb, they sound like electronica toms). No matter what we do, we can't seem to get rid of it. We've watched a ton of youtube vids explaining the fundamentals of SD, and we found one that explained where the reverb control bar was. When we tried that, however, no dice. Still a resounding *DOOOOOOOOOONNNNNN* every time.

In addition, there are other aspects about the program that seem faulty, like when we load someone else's presets that we downloaded, each track in the drum mixer has to be solo'd in order to take effect, which didn't need to be done in the many tutorial vids we've seen. Thing is, though, whenever we solo the cymbals and kick/snare drum tracks, they sound like the presets are supposed to (little reverb), but when we solo the tom tracks, they still have that awful reverb.

Another problem we've found is that applying the stock EQ plugins don't seem to do anything at all to those tom tracks. The existing EQs by the guy who made the preset work fine for the kick tracks, and when we alter the frequency response, we can hear the difference in the kicks. But when we alter the toms' EQ, there's no audible difference whatsoever. So it's JUST the tom tracks that're screwing us over.

To the best of my knowledge, all inputs and outputs have been properly set up between SD and Pro Tools, and there are no PT reverb plugins enabled on any of the tracks that the SD tracks are being bussed to. We've also had the most recent SD update installed, so...all possibilities have been exhausted, it seems. Once again, Google is no help whatsoever, only bringing up videos showing how to add MORE reverb. Just what we need, right?

If any other SD users out there have had the same problem (let alone know how to solve it), please let me know!

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Do you have ambient mics on?

3. Einherjar

Einherjar

Buy Native Instruments Battery 3. Never used Superior Drummer, but Battery 3 is easy as pie to operate. I know that's not what you were looking for, it's just been the best of the best of everything I've used for drums in my forays into MIDI composition.

4. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I've used EZ Drummer and not to the depth you're talking about so I can't be direct help there. But, Toontrack has a very helpful forum. That's where I'd ask these questions.

Here's the link: http://www.toontrack.com/forum/default.aspx?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dilbert

Dilbert

ditch the presets. forget the built in fx. multi out the kit pieces to individual tracks (and busses) in your DAW and manipulate the sounds from there..
    bit of eq, compression, and parallel compression can get great results. saying that though, i always blend in my own kick & snare samples with aptrigga...
    but yeh, i'd ditch those presets.

7. depalm

depalm Gold Supporting Member

go to mix window and turn the ambient mics down. SD is fantastic tool and you can great drum tracks with it.