1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Anyone used multiple Boss LS-2 (Line selectors)?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bRandom, Dec 26, 2013.

1. bRandom

bRandom

I've been tinkering with my board setup, and like the flexibility of dialing in an effect (such as octave) on one channel, and then have all my other effects on the other... but then I got to thinking.... What if I plugged in another LS-2 in the Send A Chain, so I have another chain I can select/deselect/mix etc... I can't find any youtube videos of anybody trying this, so not sure if I'm in uncharted territory. Seems to make sense that we'd all discover the potential of the LS-2 and use multiple to get different chains going... OR am I missing a better alternativ?

Hypothetically.. I'm thinking of having a chain dedicated to Octave, then on the other Send put another LS-2 (a.2) which would go to something like Bass Synth/Distortion... and have the other channel (b.2) be Envelopes... then take the output of that and return into the main LS-2... I don't have an exact idea of what the arrangement would be.. but if you have done something similair or seen a video demo please enlighten me
    :D

2. bRandom

bRandom

Sorry if my post is confusing, but it'd look something like this (Very Basic):

Bass > TU > LS-2 A> Octaver --------||--RETURNS || > Amp
    ________________B> LS-2 (A2) >> Distortion/Synth ||
    _________________________(B2) >> Envelope/Looper ||

3. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

I saw a vid where the guy talked about that but didn't actually do it. I've been thinking about doing something like that but haven't got a second LS-2 yet. I would also be interested to hear results from anyone who has tried something like this.

4. bRandom

bRandom

Yeah, I've seen many videos of people putting multiple delays together, and made me think what I could do with the LS-2... or if there is another pedal or trick somewhat like a loop switcher, but can control volumes out there

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Way, way too complicated to manage. If you need more than 2 channels, there are better boxes to achieve the task , like the Badger Schism or Wounded Paw devices.

7. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I've been thinking about getting a second one so i could use one for modulation and delay and stuff and a separate for dirt boxes. I can make it work with one but I'm constantly having to bend over and change the mode. Lol yeah I'm lazy about that sorta thing. But seriously if i had two id use one in loop to bypass mode for delay reverb and stuff and all my gain based effect would be on the other in a+b mode with a short cable going in and out of the other loop. The one issue i have using one is in order to use the ls2 as a blending device in a+b mode I've got a lot if tone suck on the dry signal from all the effects on the other loop. And tone suck is really the main reason i got my ls2. I use it to take all my effects out of my signal when I'm not using them.

8. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

+ 1

9. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

10. DagoMaino

DagoMaino Supporting Member

Wounded Paw blender is great, but OP is talking about a layering effect (sub-mix) with the LS2s. I run a wounded Paw V3 and also have a Ls-2 (sub mix) on one of those channels, also incorporate blending on the other Wounded Paw channels as well. This kind of thing allows for a lot of versatility in molding the sound cause nearly every aspect of the effects are able to blend into the sound. Keep in mind though that the more layers you have the trickier it will be to plan your output volumes for individual effects.

I configured mine in a hybrid of what OP is wanting to do. One channel is specialized for synth effects and the other two channels are specialized for dirt and and modulation etc. What I ended up with is each channel having the ability to do almost anything (comps, pitch, multi's, dirt, modulation) so that I could use expression controls differently on each channel in almost every way imaginable. It's way overkill but, like so many others in the effects black hole, it's almost more about the process and experimentation then the usability sometimes... it's modular though so I can disconnect the small board and take it to a band arrangement.

11. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

I once had to LS-2 on my board. The first one to toggle between two sets of effects and the second as a clean-blend for a Tonebender Fuzz:

LS2-1 A: Synth effects
    LS2-1 B: LS2-2 A: Tonebender Fuzz
    LS2-2 B: <empty>

Worked fine until I realized the Darkglass B3K managed to do a good job as a distortion-pedal (bought it initially as an overdrive). Now the second LS2 is just collecting dust.

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Using them one after the other is fine. Now if you put one into the other it becomes a mess.

13. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

I ran 2 LS-2's for a while .... it worked fine but was a mess of cables for sure.

Much happier with a Badger Schism :)