1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Anyone using 2 12" cabs to gig with?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lttoler, Dec 26, 2012.

1. lttoler

lttoler

I actually play guitar in my cover band but am looking for some bass equipment for studio and live use. I have had 4x10s for the past several years but I am kinda interested in switching it up. I thought about getting 2 separate 1x12 cabs so I could move it around easier and we could just use 1 cab at the smaller places. We are using a 1x15 right now and I do not like the sound. It is an old Peavey and sounds very muddy and muffled, but it may just be that cab. I play mainly classic rock and blues stuff if that matters.

Can anyone give me any advice? Thanks in advance!

2. Stephent28

Stephent28 Supporting Member

Glasstone LiL G is a killer cab.
    2-12 in a cab rated at 1200 watts that weighs about 32-34#.

Do a search. I don't think you will find a single negative posted.
    A relatively unknown gem.

3. Marty Forrer

Marty Forrer

I'm using two GenzBenz Shuttle 1x12s with my Streamliner 600. It has all the grunt I need, and it's light and compact. Not forgetting as punchy as hell!

4. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Driver size has almost nothing to do with frequency response of the cabinet. Tons of guys use a pair of 1x12s. Try a pair of Aguilar or GK 12s. Or, if you're like me and doubt that a single 12 is good for much but practice at home, try 15s. Right now I have a GK 212, which I love. I'm thinking of pairing it with a GK 15 to have 3 rigs: small (the 15), medium (the 212) and large (both). YMMV.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Very true. In this sense, the world of bass guitar amplification doesn't behave very much like the world of guitar amplification. IME, there is much more innovation; much less rote reliance upon tradition. :meh:

At the same time, I will tell you that 12-inch woofers have been coming on strong in the bass world for the past several years now, with several manufacturers (i.e. Eminence, Faital, etc.) having engineered some truly breakthrough models in terms of superior performance. Consequently, new high-performance 1x12 and 2x12 bass cabs are becoming all the rage. :cool:

OP, you're on the right track. Take some time to lurk & learn. As a guitarist dabbling with bass rigs at this time, there is much useful information here for you to absorb... :meh:

MM

7. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

I have both a 2x12 infinite baffle (sealed) and a ported TL 2x12 cabs. I personally prefer the sealed cab for it's "punchy," well defined sound (quite like the Ampeg 810 and 2x10AV cabs).

I also have a 1x12 ported TL cab that is almost loud enough with the Kappalite 3012HO to handle gigs by itself! I'm certain with a 2nd it would handle everything with ease.

8. Alper Yilmaz

Alper Yilmaz Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Erkan Sizarlar Custom Basses
    I have been using two Bergantino's 1x12's (2 AE112's and a IP112 + HT112 set) for quite some time now.

I also have the AE212, but it has seen much less gigging time, as it is relatively more difficult to lug around.

I am not sure how much an AE212 would differ from two AE112's (Ken is kindly requested to comment here!) but unless you work with a roadie, having the option of being able to separate the cabinets is very helpful depending on the size of the gig. For smaller gigs, I either have the HT112 or one of the AE112s with me, whereas I take two AE112's with me for larger gigs.

As long as a cabinet is well-designed, 10s, 12s or 15s would not differ much. 12s provide me with the optimum surface in a relatively smaller box. That is why I love 12s in general. My experience with 10s is confined to Aguilar GS410 and SWR Goliath 410, but I find 4x10s inherently poorly designed in general. Whereas, I used to have 15s by Bag End which I loved very much. But they were a bit on the heavier side in comparison to the AEs, so that is why I had to part with them...

Best,

Alper

9. diglo

diglo Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    BASS4yourFace!
    +1

10. jlepre

jlepre

I think the OP isn't looking for one cab like the Glasstone. He want's the modular flexibility.

I have used (2) 12" cabs for a while before switching to my current (2) 15". I like the deeper sound I get with my 15's.

What's your budget?

11. iualum

iualum

Are you buying used or new? And what dollar figure do you have in mind?

If used & you find something you like at a really attractive price, great.

Otherwise, I'd suggest checking out www.LowDownSound.com for a custom 212 using two Eminence Delta Lite II 2512s ( http://www.usspeaker.com/delta lite2512II-1.htm ) or a 115 + 6.5 using an Eminence Kappa Lite 3015LF & 18Sound 6ND410 ( http://www.usspeaker.com/Kappa Lite-3015lf-1.htm / http://www.usspeaker.com/eighteensound-6ND410-1.htm ).

Don't be frightened of a custom from Don @ LDS. He makes great product. Take a look at the LDS mega thread... http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/low-down-sound-club-part-four-848736/

The 2512-loaded 212 could be as small as ~ 28" tall x 16" wide x 14" deep & weigh as little as 50 lbs. A pretty easy transport. And it would be as nice as anything available commercially for much less bread.

The 15 + 6.5 would cost more, but would move more air/be louder. This box would be ~ 22" tall x 22" wide x 14" deep (or 26" tall x 19" wide x 14" deep) & weigh ~45 lbs. or less.

Prices on both are very reasonable & you even get to pick cosmetics. You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't at least give LDS a call & see what Don says.

12. Art Araya

Art Araya

This is where I'm heading. A Fearless F112 paired with a fEARful 12sub. These 2 cabs though very light weight will cover any venue I need to play in.

13. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

+1

I have two Alphalite 12/6's coming my way.

14. Smokin' Toaster

Smokin' Toaster Supporting Member

I use a Genz Benz Neo 212t almost exclusively. 57lbs, sounds great, reproduces the low B of my Lakland Skyline Jerry Scheff 5 very nicely.

Highly recommended.

15. azureblue

azureblue

GK MB212. I play jazz, New Orleans funk, and bar band blues rock and the amp does what I want it to every time. Loud, too.

16. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

A single 12 (EBS Drome combo) serves me just fine for band rehearsals and even some small bar gigs doing rock covers behind two guitars. But it won't cover a big bar/club without PA reinforcement.

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I gig with 2 GK 1x12 Neos. Those old Peavey's suck unless one likes that kind of sound. I actually gigged an old Peavey TNT130 for many years in NYC. Without a tweeter, I just couldn't get any high end out of it but it was all I could afford back in the early 80's when I bought it. Bought a Fender BXR200 combo after that which also didn't have a tweeter. when I decided to go modular, the first cab I ever owned with a tweeter was an Avatar 2x10 cab in the early 2000's. For me, I gotta have a HF driver in my cabs.

18. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I use three variations of 2x112 setups.

I very much prefer this, for these reasons:
    -a taller rig is easier for me, personally, to hear myself.
    -easier to move and pack into my vehicle
    -the "vertical line array" throws cleaner out into a room, IMO
    -one cab for smaller jobs and rehearsals, two cabs for everything else.

I have
    2xGK Neo 112: great cabs, and very cost efficient
    2xBaer ML112: super high quality, and they're mid-driver loaded; a different flavor than the GK horn loaded cabs
    fEARFul 12/6/1+12sub...yet another flavor, simply because I can.

19. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    I gig with a pair of DIY 112's using Eminence DeltaliteII drivers, sometimes with a 6" midrange speaker, sometimes without. That keeps up with most any drummer, can carry small bar/club gigs on it's own and cover larger stages where everybody's in FOH. Overall loudness is comparable to a decent 410, but it sounds a little bit deeper compared to some, clearer up top and has better dispersion. No "hotspot" of sound hitting you in the back of the knees.

Don't fall prey to equating tone with speaker size, "15 are deep and muddy", 10's are punchy", etc. It's all in the design.

There are even higher performance drivers out now than what mine uses. I like the NeoX cabs for my tastes. When you get up into the Fearful designs, AudioKinesis, Baer, etc., those are really top of the heap in terms of design/performance, etc. Very high quality stuff.

20. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

Man, this gets old. I don't understand why this needs to be mentioned every single time, particularly when there is nothing in the original post to indicate that it needs to be.

I've used the Traynor tc112s for awhile now, and think they're very underated.

21. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    OP talks about being familiar with 410's, and that their 15 is muddy. He maybe didn't come right out and say it, but it's kinda leaning that way. All one needs to do is hear an EV L series, or these Faital PR series, or a 410HLF to break that assumption.

I used to think the same thing, and in my old Carvin cabs, it held true. Doesn't hold true in all cases though.