1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Anyone using a Chauvet hazer?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by John Bigboote, Nov 13, 2012.

1. John Bigboote

John Bigboote

Okay, I understand this isn't live *sound* per se, but live effects. I hope y'all will forgive me.

I got a Chauvet Hurricane Haze 2 some months ago, and am wondering if my experience is typical.

I bought it because, during a visit to the local GC, there was a perfect, light, non-stinky haze that filled the room and stayed that way, and I was impressed enough to ask what did it, and eventually to buy it for $300 - 15%. I also bought their Black Label hazer juice, rather than Chauvet's (which is recommended, but not stocked).

I've found that the haze doesn't disperse and hang in live situations nearly as well as I'd thought in the store. (I'm sure they were using the Black Label in the store, too.) You get a burst, it dissipates, so you have to dial up the controller to burst more often and longer. Seems like a fogger then; I thought the point of the hazer was that a light, nearly invisible (except when light is passing through it) haze would hang for a long time.

The other issue is that the floor in front of the hazer gets *dangerously* slippery. Nobody's fallen at a gig yet, but I find myself cleaning the floor with bar towels during the breaks, which is a drag.

Anyway, has this been your experience with a hazer? Does anybody know from experience that Chauvet's haze fluid not cause those issues, or is it all the same stuff in different bottles?

Of course it's out of the return period. I bought the extended coverage from GC, so if it's not working properly, or stops working, or accidentally falls off a building (oops!) I can use the coverage to get another one. But if they all do this, that won't help.

Your experienced opinions/suggestions welcome.

-jb

2. AndyLES

AndyLES

Are you running it via DMX? The point of the hazer is to run it constantly, or via a timer, so that it stays on for an extended period of time, rather than in bursts.

Also, re. slippery stuff - are you maxing out the machine? Some of those Chauvet hazers can get out of hand in a hurry. No joke, via the DMX console, I run speed = 255, volume= 6. Otherwise, it gets stupidly cloudy quick.

3. AndyLES

AndyLES

Also, try thinning the mixture with a little DISTILLED (note the caps) water.

4. John Bigboote

John Bigboote

I'm specifically trying *not* to make it stupidly cloudy.

I've only used it with the cabled controller, not DMX (I have a DMX controller, but haven't used it with the hazer). The controller is definitely in need of calibration; if you set it for every minute, it shoots off every 20 seconds, and if you set it for every five minutes, it shoots off every 45 seconds. And I'm not sure if the volume setting does anything at all. But no, I *don't* run it constantly, or the room would get pretty unbearable after a few minutes, and I'd probably set off smoke detectors.

I like the idea of diluting the fluid and seeing if that works...

-jb

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. John Bigboote

John Bigboote

TTT, in case anyone else would like to weigh in...

-jb

7. pflash4001

pflash4001

Try running a cycle of fog machine cleaner thru it. I have a cheap old Spencer's fog machine, but, hey, for $30, it's served me VERY well for the last 5 years. It sputters when it needs cleaning. There is a Black Label fog machine cleaner at GC. You can also run a tank full of distilled water and vinegar thru the machine. Make sure you do that OUTSIDE. Those vinegar fumes will kill your eyes in an enclosed area!

8. John Bigboote

John Bigboote

Yeah, I was going to run a cleaning cycle through it, but I can't imagine that's the problem -- I only have about 10 hours on it...

-jb

9. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

no it is not the cleaning cycle. you MUST use the chauvet haze fluid. i went thru ultratec's regular haze fluid and luminous 7 haze fluid (much more premium fluid) and it leaked all the time. so i used the chauvet stuff it stopped leaking and performed really well...i know it sounds stupid but trust me, it will work...

if you dilute the fluid you run the risk of clogging it on later use...DON'T DO IT!...

10. John Bigboote

John Bigboote

Yeah, though I hate to throw good money after potentially bad, I reckon I need to eliminate that variable. I'm going to run a cleaning cycle through it, and try the Chauvet haze fluid.

Thanks,

-jb

11. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

do it...its the only thing that will work with it...it does dissipate quickly and chews through soooo much fluid.

i use ultratec radiance hazer. its about $1300 and $100 for a bottle of fluid but it will survive me at least 12 months and hang time is phenomenal...

12. John Bigboote

John Bigboote

Sweet jeebus, that's a lot of money.

-jb

13. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

yup, but at 2-3 gigs a week, flat out use...12 months, no breaking down, fluid still in a 4lt bottle...im on the win...

i bet that in 12 months you would go through at least $200 worth of fluid...using that chauvet haze1r and their fluid. i tried using the chauvet hazer with the same fluid i use in the radiance, but the fluid was so dense that it made the machine back up and leak. it was still producing haze, but it leaked like a mofo...lol

spend the money...its worth it... :)