Anyone using a Markbass CMD 102P for a Classic Rock/Hard Rock Cover Band?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bassphreak, Feb 2, 2014.

1. bassphreak

bassphreak Supporting Member

I wanted to know if anyone is using the Markbass CMD 102P 210 combo in a gigging classic rock and/or hard rock cover band. I've been on the fence now for a few years on the Markbass CMD102P combo. I love the weight, size and solo tone of the MB when I try it in the shop. However, the price has been a big factor for me and I'm not certain how well it does in a gigging rock setting.

Background on me: I'm in a 3 piece band + singer. We play mostly small local bars in the area. Weekend warrior classic and hard rock covers, everything from the Who, Black Crows, Zeppelin, Billy Idol to STP, Alice in Chains, Green Day, Foo Fighters and Seether. We don't play loud for most venues and the drummer has a light touch. CURVE: We also have been doing some acoustic sets to start off for the smaller restaurant gigs.

My current small gig setup is an Ampeg PF800 to an Avatar 210 neo cab. Great little setup but I'm looking to replace with the Markbass for absolute simplicity and weight. (Note: I do have an Ampeg SVT7/Ampeg 410 or Avatar 410 as my 'big' rig).

I'm pretty sure the Markbass will do what I want but wanted to get some opinions from other rockers out there. Most threads and posts I've read on the MB amps relate to other genres. Most folks in my area that have MB equipment are playing other types of music too.

The Markbass 210 combo is usually the amp that I plug into when at GC and it always sounds great, but not my gear and not in a band setting. It's a steep price to pay to be wrong. :D

Thanks!

2. bassphreak

I guess I'd be remiss if I didn't ask for other alternatives to the Markbass. Are there other 210 combos that are less than 50 lbs and put out at least 200w of usable power? I'm a 10s guy. I've tried 12s and 15s and they don't suit my taste.

3. Twocanbassman

Twocanbassman

I have one, play in 3-5 piece cover bands (including some classic rock) and have found it to be the ideal amp for me. In a live setting I leave the filters off and turn the mid dials to 1-2 O'Clock. I hate muddy bass tone and this amp gives anything but that. I can hear every note clearly and don't needn't to turn up too loud as a result.

4. Twocanbassman

Twocanbassman

I bought the addl 210 for larger venues and have never found myself lacking power.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassphreak

Thanks! I've thought about the additional 210 at a future option if I finally take the plunge.

7. bassphreak

As far as combos I've tried previously:

- Markbass CMD121P - 12 in combo. Great little cube but didn't like pushing a single 12. Didn't cut as much as I wanted (I'm better eq'd now)
    - Ampeg SVT 210 Combo - nice amp that I used for a while years ago but about 90 lbs and was a beast
    - Fender Pro 400 210 Combo - nice combo, heavy, didn't like the eq as much. Seemed a little more hi-fi sounding to me
    - Hartke HyDrive 210c - great combo but I didn't like head on the older ones (may try the new ones with the LH heads).

8. Winfred

Winfred

Yep, I play one. 2 bands. Soul, and classic rock. The CMD 210 does it all. Weighs about 45 pounds, I think. 300 watts, loud as hell, clean as hell.

I understand your concerns about price, it's steep, I feel your pain. But it does everything I need, and it's so easy to move.

9. bassphreak

Thanks. The reason why I may be in a position to pick one up now is that I have some gear that I can sell and get close. Plus almost all our gigs are going lower volume and we are doing some acoustic rock sets now.

10. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

I am in a classic rock cover band that gigs about once a month. My stage amp is a Markbass CMD102P. We try to manage our volume, but it does get a bit loud at times as the night goes on. One thing I did that really helps with this is I put the amp on its side on top of a box. This helped me hear my sound much better then tilting it back. However, it still would reach its limits for some of our more aggressive songs - particularly if I wanted to dial in more low frequencies and less midrange frequencies (as in, have it sound more like an ampeg). A couple of months ago I surrendered to the inevitable and bought the matching extension cab, the Markbass 102HF. I put the extension cab on the bottom, on its side, and then the combo on top of that, also on its side. The result is a huge sound with tremendous "cut thru the mix" prowess, as well as the ability to play loudly with a lot of bass and some overdrive if the song calls for it. Check my previous posts, I've gone into detail about my experiences with this rig in other posts.

11. bassphreak

cchorney: thanks. Sounds like you're in a similar situation. We can get loud but I have a different rig I can use for the loud gigs. Thanks for the additional comment on OD. I use OD as my only effect (a few ODs). I'll look up your posts. I think I remember seeing a pic of that side stacked MB in a post recently.

We only have one guitar (using a fender tube 210 combo) now for most songs so in most cases I should be fine.

12. bassphreak

Does anyone have any direct compare experience with the Markbass and the Ampeg PF series? I'm using a PF800 head/Avatar B210 for my small rig. I have been pretty happy with the setup but trying to find the best option for quick setup, light weight and good tone. The PF800 is 'big' for a micro head. The ported Avatar with tweeter is a pretty big box for a 210.

13. bassphreak

Still can't seem to pull the trigger ....mostly a cost factor. I'd have to unload some stuff that I'm not sure I want to unload.

Looking at other lower cost options to the Markbass. How are the new GK MB210 combos? I see them go for a lot less used when the come up.

14. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Does the PF-800 and 210 meet your needs now?

Really ask yourself, for what that markbass costs, is it worth the slight ease in moving everything. Also, have you tried that combo out in a band setting? I find markbass stuff to be about as bland as it comes.

15. j@zz_b@ss

j@zz_b@ss Supporting Member

I have the same setup and love it. My cover band has played about 90 shows in the last 2 years and 1 1/2 years with this amp and I love it. These amps are very loud and sound great. We played at an event called the Wingbowl in Wells Fargo Ceneter in Philadelphia and I got to run it at about 70-75% volume (which would be insane anywhere else) and it didn't have any issues and sounded great. I have a full time job as well so the low weight is what got my interest initally in these amps.... then I heard one! Hardly a gig goes by where someone doesn't joke about their weight, which is about the same weight of either of the Mesa 1x12s my brother uses. We also are 3 piece + singer and with a drummer with light touch... you will be fine with this combo, especially in smaller places. The added cabinet is icing on the cake but you will def get along without it.

16. bassphreak

CL400 - that's the question I'm asking myself. Will the Markbass be better than my current PF800/Avatar. The PF is big for a 'micro' head. The Avatar is bigger and heavier than the Markbass combo. I haven't tried the Markbass combo in a band setting. I don't know anyone that has one I could borrow. I have seen other guys use it on a gig, but they are jazz or other genres.

J@zz- thanks. I know the WF space and that's pretty impressive.

17. rjhilliard

rjhilliard Guest

I have a 102P that I run with a LMIII head. I don't find it to be warm enough on it's own. It is very clean and articulate which I like but it lacks the lows I look for. I paired it with a MB Randy Jackson 15 and now you are talking! Get's all the warm low end you need and the clear high articulation of the 10's. I play classic rock in a horn band and it cuts through the mix nicely--I am definitely heard and it is not muddy or high end harsh.

18. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

I have used my LMII countless times with either a stock EBS Pro Line 210 or one loaded with Detalites 2010 or an Ampeg SVT-210HE. They all sound good, in different ways, but neither gets loud enough for my needs (for gigs!). (Moderate loud trio, jazz/funk/blues.) Adequate for rehearsals with Ampeg or Deltalite loaded EBS cab ut hitting the limiter frequently during louder songs.
    No way I wouid gig the OP. Markbass combo w/o extension cab.

19. bassphreak

Many places we can't be loud. I have my main rig (SVT7/Avatar 410 4ohm) that will handle any larger or louder gigs. But for the most part most places don't want loud. We're in a small market. Very few true clubs and the bigger stages use managed bands.

20. Kevindavid3

Kevindavid3

I used to own a mark bass cmd 102p. I mostly played it at home and in a very large church setting that played some "heavier" loud stuff at times. I found it was the only amp that ever cut through the drummer and guitar and adding a 12 or 15 extension was even better. It was a huge mistake selling that amp cause it was awesome!

21. toughluxury2010

toughluxury2010

Yes and yes. Playing Black Crowes, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, etc. I switched to the Markbass due to its low weight and great sound. I found I've had to turn down at rehearsal so I can hear the guitarist's JCM 900. I also got a 4x10 Eminence box but have found that I end up using it as a stand for the Markbass more often than not. Definitely worth the extra bucks.

Attached Files: