Anyone using an ID theft company?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BboogieXVII, Feb 27, 2014.

1. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Just received a phishing telephone call, I was caught waking up from a nap and the question that I answered seemed harmless enough at the time, they asked what I pay in rent. However, after thinking about the call where the person claimed to be representing a real estate company I tried to *69 them and the recorded response said the number was no longer in service!

Looking at some websites such as Lifelock, Identity Force, Identity Guard, etc. A lot of the companies have a stated 1 million dollar insurance guarantee, sounds good, but I have no idea if these companies really come through.
  2. bassinplace

bassinplace

Those ID theft protection companies make me wary. If they're holding a database with all of their customers information in it, what's to stop them from getting hacked? Seems to me like you're just adding one additional place for potential hackers to scam you from, and paying for it. ymmv, I suppose.
  3. P Town

P Town Guest

Someone stole my wife's credit card, but I did not report it because they are spending way less money than she was.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

I use ProtectMyID.com. I got in on the free offering from Target a couple months ago. I won't renew when it expires though.

It is interesting. I got a couple alerts already.

-Mike
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

What did the alerts inform you of?
  7. msact

msact Gold Supporting Member

I have been using lifelock for a few years now. I am very happy with them.
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

A change to my FICO score. Below is what the alert said in the e-mail. I didn't paste it all, but it ended with info on how to contact them if I thought the change was fraudulent. In my case, neither time it was.

ProtectMyID(TM) has detected signs that your identity could be at risk. As soon as possible, please log in to your Protection Center to review your Surveillance Alert(TM).

This Alert indicates that new information such as a new inquiry, public record, collections notice, etc, has been posted to your Experian credit report. Knowing about changes to your credit report is the first step in identifying fraud.

-Mike