1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Anyone using "JOYO" Brand Pedals with Their Bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GG7, Mar 30, 2013.

1. GG7

GG7

I purchased a few of these pedals today for my guitar rig, and that got me to thinking if anyone out there has been using any of these very affordable effects pedals with their bass rig?

The 5 pedals I bought today included their JF-10 compressor and the J-12 digital delay which should both lend themselves well to some experimentation on the bass. I was curious if anyone else is using Joyo pedals and what models.

The professional and customer reviews on this brand have been very positive especially considering that all these various pedals sell for $40.00 a pop.

Thanks in advance for your input! :bassist:
  2. AaronMB

AaronMB

I got a Joyo Tremolo for a great price; didn't and still don't know much about Tremolos but couldn't resist the price.

It's well built, sounds pretty good, seems to do what it's supposed to. No complaints (but no basis for comparison either).

I'm interested to hear how you like those Joyos you're trying.
  3. GG7

GG7

Cool!

Your comments on the build quality are right in line with all the positive reviews I mentioned in my opening post. :)

I've got a VOX AC15 Twin vintage tube guitar amp with a great tremolo and reverb in it already, so I didn't get myself one of those Tremelo pedals for obvious reasons, but all these other offerings are really intriguing and set off a mini GAS for me tonight! LOL!

I've ordered several of these JOYO pedals tonight since they are so cheap and all of them are getting such rave reviews. These are basically clones of boutique brand pedals that cost 3-4 times as much as these, yet owners are saying that these 40 dollar JOYOs are just as well built, sound just as good and in some cases sound actually better than the originals! :cool:

I will definitely report back in this thread which ones of the effects I bought for my guitar also translate well over to the bass as well. I would assume that the compressor and the delay will both work well on bass. Maybe even the Ultimate Drive or Vintage Overdrive distortion pedals may provide some interesting effects.

I also ordered one called California which is supposed to simulate High-Gain amps like the Mesa Boogie, Orange and Diamond and others in that genre. I've obviously got the British sound covered with a real Vox AC15 Tube Amp so I didn't buy that pedal, but the thought of getting the AC15 to sound like a Boogie intrigued me.

I also picked up a JOYO pedal called "American" which is supposed to be a Fender Twin Reverb, Princeton Reverb simulator. I immediately flashed on the idea of putting that in front of my Ampeg BA-112 with a little tube distortion effect added and seeing if I can get that to sound like a Bassman head into a single 12 cab! Wouldn't that be cool? :)

I've got a 69 Fender Telecaster Thinline guitar that lends itself very well to use with quality pedals. I can get that guitar to sound like pretty much anything out there with the right pedal and into my AC15 Twin.

These JOYO pedals have got me VERY excited at the possibilities I may be able to achieve for the combined cost of just one boutique effects pedal!

Will definitely report back in this thread on which ones translate over to bass the best!

Hope we hear from more bass players out there who are already using these in their pedal boards! :bassist:
  4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    This smells like shilling, to me.
  5. Poopoutyouridea

Poopoutyouridea

Very much so.
  6. ZombieSpacebat

ZombieSpacebat

Shilling?
  7. marmadaddy

marmadaddy

My first thought too.
  8. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

The ones I had were quite cheaply built, actually. Had I kept them, I would have at least replaced the crappy jacks and footswitch. They were atrocious. I probably would have done a full re-house on them. The cases are thin and feel like they could collapse with heavy use. Probably fine for home use though. They sounded okay, but lost too much low end for me to be able to use them. I think they would be a fun re-housing project!
  9. Qlanq

Qlanq

Got the "British Sound" box. Love it. Had written a big massive thought on it but this poxy forum timed me out. Buy their stuff it's good.
  10. Will Kelly

Will Kelly Supporting Member

Aren't these the same as the Biyang pedals? I have a BIyang Fuzz STar, and it's actually a great pedal. Well built, great components, sounds great.
  11. Rafescow

Rafescow

Agreed
  12. bongomania

Disclosures:
    The thing is, Biyang produces several lines for several brands, and a few different designs under their own brand, at different quality levels. So yes there are some rugged Biyang pedals, but that doesn't translate to being the same as Joyo.
  13. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

ultimate octave fuzz - stiff knob, crooked knob, crazy stiff toggle switch, muffled sound, not real fuzzy, best sound was the industrial/metal mid scoop distortion you would use in a studio
  14. bongomania

Disclosures:
    That means a person who is paid by, related to, or otherwise affiliated with a brand comes around in the community, saying how GREAT that brand is, and AWESOME their products are, while pretending that they are NOT paid by that company, or not brother/best buddy/roommate of the maker, or dealer/importer of that product line.

It's a very common (and scummy) practice in forums worldwide; and it's against the rules here on TB.
  15. AaronMB

AaronMB

All I can speak to is my single experience: the Joyo that I got [used, as it was cheap and I was curious] is well built and quite tough; has nice jacks, knobs, and foot switch. The aesthetics are fine. Though my minimal experience with pedals is growing, I can't say it sounds bad at all; can't say it's the shizz-nit, either, as I've no basis for a tremolo comparison.

Though his posts above are rather excited--so I'll see your point about the possible shilling--perhaps the OP is just overzealous and eager to share his findings? I dunno. At least ask the guy straight up.

Hey GG7: are you shilling here?
  16. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Generally, the point is not to admit to being a schill--doubt he'll come back and admit it ;) If he comes back at all!

--
  17. JacobJohn_CS

JacobJohn_CS

I use a JoYo Classic Chorus with my set up. Both knobs at 12 o'clock gives an awesome subtle chorus. Pairs great with other pedals and has literally 0 background noise on or off which is more than I can say about some of my other, more expensive pedals (105Q, Bassballs)
  18. JacobJohn_CS

JacobJohn_CS

I purchased my JoYo pedal from Aliexpress dot com and if you talk to one of the suppliers when they are online they will work out all kinds of deals for Mooer, JoYo and Belcat. I paid $30 shipped for my chorus pedal and they sent me a full pdf list of all their pedals for each manufacturer with their "direct" price.
  19. Roboglitch

Roboglitch

I bought the Joyo Voodoo (Ultimate) Octave for about $30 shipped. It sounded alright. I wasn't blown away by the sound of it, but the build quality for the price was actually really good. I'd post a demo, but I loaned it to a friend and he has yet to return it. Here's a video that someone posted on youtube...
  20. john_martin_sai

john_martin_sai

I recently bought the JOYO ULTIMATE DRIVE. good bargain and build quality is above acceptable. Apparently it's a clone of the OCD.

Like it mostly for guitar,...but it's usable with a bass, if you're lacking a similar pedal.