Anyone using the Carvin PM15a speakers?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Lync, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

We currently have Yorkville NX35 passive speakers. I also have a carvin powered sub (18") that has been great, but being that my Yamaha EMX5000 board does not have a true crossover, I have just been cutting some low end on the eq to save power on the board (and then kicking up the sub a bit to compensate).

I am thinking that just biting the bullet and going active out front will help out with sound quality (and then we can add the passive yorkvilles as monitors).

I keep coming back to Carvin as the bang for the buck to do this. Being that they sell direct, there just isn't a ton of info out there on them.

We have one powered Mackie SRM450 (blue) that we currently use as a monitor, but to track down another blue Mackie, I will only being paying a bit less for used than for a set of new Carvin's that supposedly hold their own vs. the Mackie.

Thoughts?
  2. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Hmm...

Looks like if I want to know, I have to take the plunge.
  3. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

Just curious... why?
  4. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

Hey man, I'm looking into the PM12a for monitors. I'd be VERY interested in seeing what you say about em

Price, weight, power, EQ, inputs all seem to be bringing me back here as well
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Features, success owning my Carvin powered sub and BX500, all of the other names are made in China too, hoping the direct model is the main difference in pricing....
  7. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Well, in the Carvin forums they are getting panned. But the main guy ripping them does not own them.

My take on Carvin amp/live sound is that it is not your Daddy's Carvin anymore. My sub and BX500 (both recently made within the past 5 years) tend to sound and have the quality of the popular brands. This (hopefully) leads me to believe that much of the price difference is in marketing/name recognition. I am hoping so, at least.
  8. Tunaman

I just spoke to Carvin on the phone about getting a deal on the packages for 2 (Who the hell just orders 1 anyway?) The packages are NOT on sale & they can't give out any discounts. Gotta wait until a sale, like Memorial Day.

Bummer, plus shipping is like $60. I would have been fine if they gave me $50 off at least!
  9. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Being that the package comes with cables, it is a bit cheaper, yes?

The PM15a is $319, in a 2-pack with two 50' cables, they are $599.

So, $39 cheaper + free cables is not too bad. Then, you get 10% off accessories, so you can pickup a pair of padded covers for $52.20.

For two powered 15's, two 50' cables, and two padded covers you are looking at $651.20 before shipping (you said it was $60), so under $725 out the door. Price that out with EV LiveX12's and you are running close to $1400.

It seems like a decent deal...if they don't sound like crap or blow up. :D
  10. seamonkey

seamonkey

Am I reading these prices right? How are they making money?

Lightweight Powered Cabs - really? What a bargain!

PM12A $279 + $30 ship
    Package deal $559 + 60 ship, includes XLR cables

PM15A $319.00 + $30 ship
    Package deal $599 + $60 ship, includes XLR cables
  11. Tunaman

I need the PM12a as monitors & that package has no discount & would be over shipped no covers $600. I may get the Behringer b212d for $380 as I dont need the cables

If I were using them as mains I WOULD go for the Carvin 15 package deal vs the Behringers

Why the hell does the bass player have to buy monitors for the singer anyway? Thats HIS instrument right? I have thousands in my rig\guitar!
    We have really good mains at least!
  12. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

I am hoping that the real question is "why are the other Musicians Friend brands charging so much?".

I have heard the JBL's and they do sound really nice. But that was because I was closely listening to see how they sounded.
  13. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

There are some other "seemingly decent" deals....check out Alto powered speakers (If you sign up for Hellomusic, they have them on sale now and then).
  14. dspellman

dspellman

Carvin only sells direct; no stores (well, a couple in California). No extra layer of profit taking. I've been using LM12As (the PM12as are relatively new; the LMs are biamped) for years and really like them.
  15. dspellman

dspellman

You need to be squinting a bit closer at the specs.

Carvin normally rates their products in RMS, Program and Peak. For example, a PM12a powered speaker has a 400W RMS amp built in. That would translate to 800W Program (in Yamaha-speak) and probably (conservatively) 1200+W Peak. It weighs 27 lbs (and these things have been drop tested to 8'). That's a $279 speaker and it's powered.

The Mackie Thump 12a powered speaker rates its amplifier at 400W *PEAK*. Likely half or less that number RMS wattage. Max output is 115 dB. It's underpowered and not even in the same league as the Carvin, but costs $269.

The Yamaha A12 is a *passive* speaker that rates at 150W RMS, 300 Program and 600W Peak. It weighs 34 lbs and is likely made of wood and covered with rug. That's a $229 *passive* speaker.

The Carvin equivalent passive speaker is rated at double the power, has 3 dB more sensitivity (this is like doubling your power), weighs just 24 lbs and costs $179.

Why does this seem like a no-brainer to me?
  16. dspellman

dspellman

The Behringer B212Ds don't compare to the PM12as in power. They have a 550W *PEAK* amplifier. Carvin has a 400W *RMS* amplifier. In addition, the powered Carvin is actually about 5 lbs *lighter* than the underpowered Behringer.

I'm not sure this Wiki article is entirely accurate (Audio power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), but this will give you an idea of the differences between peak and RMS power:

Peak power is the maximum level of work or energy output that is measured during an observation period. Peak power here refers to the maximum amount of power an electronic component can possibly handle for an instant without damage. Because of the highly dynamic nature of many audio signals (eg, music, which accounts for an alternative name, music power) there is some sense in attempting to characterize the ability of equipment to handle quickly changing power levels. But, how small an instant is a matter of some variation from observer to observer and so a peak power rating is necessarily more than a little indeterminate.

It always produces a higher value than the continuous ("RMS") figure, however, and so has been tempting to use in advertising. Generally, whatever the definition of instant used, distortion is also higher for an instant. For instance, an amplifier (especially a surround sound receiver), may be rated at 1,000 watts peak power, but the harmonic distortion level might be 10 percent under those conditions. Peak power is also referred to as max power or PMPO (Peak Music Power Output).[2] It is often five or six times greater than the continuous ("RMS") rating.

IOW, a Peak Power rating of 550W might actually represent a 100-150W RMS amplifier.
    A 10% harmonic distortion level is 100X the generally accepted level of 0.1% THD for good fidelity.
  17. Tunaman

If they suck I'll flip them really quick & grab Carvins if they are THAT bad as monitors. I heard them in the store really loud & they were fine.

Again, if the vocals bitch that the sound & volume suck... then he should buy his own damn monitors, I don't ask him to buy my stuff! So Behringer he gets...

I'll let u know... but I also have a Behringer mixer & poweramp that I've been rocking for YEARS with no problem.

It is total horsecrap that they manipulate the stats though, I agree and I repeat I would NOT recommend them as mains at all. PLEASE go Carvin for mains people! The PM15s would be exactly what I would get for mains... although the OP was asking opinions about em... nobody really has em which is odd.
  18. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

The interesting thing is on the Carvin forums...these speakers get slammed like no tomorrow. But, as here, no one seems to own them LOL.

I am thinking part of the really good price is supply and demand at the moment.
  19. Tunaman

I'm surprised, slammed that bad? The Behringers 15" versions (B215Ds) get really good reviews...
    You could go to the Guitar Center & listen to those?
  20. dspellman

dspellman

The prices are really REALLY good for what you get.

The LS1503 speaker is also really good and the price is crazy.

[​IMG]

15" woofer, 6" mids, 1" tweeter, recommended amp 600-1200W, for...$259. The drawbacks? Can't be used as a monitor, it's 58 lbs and it's covered in rat fur. That's it. But it comes with a cup for putting it on a stand, so if you can get it up there, it's good to go.
  21. Lync

Lync Supporting Member