Anyone using Tonebone PZ-Pre?

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by PooeySK, Mar 29, 2014.

1. PooeySK

PooeySK

Looking for solutions to getting my stage sound up without the feedback. The Tonebone PZ-Pre seems to have the trifecta of feedback suppression: phase reversal, hi-pass filter, and notch filter.

Just wondering if anyone uses it on stage, and if it helps. Thanks!

--Jim from Moose Jaw

P.s. If it helps I currently use the K&K RAB p/u and preamp, through a _______ head and Eden 212 cab. I also use the Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver deluxe. (I'm in between heads, but am ordering the Aguilar Tonehammer 500). My bass is just a cheap blonde double bass from Long & McQuade.
  2. kurt

kurt

Yes and yes. Also Muting the tailpiece with a piece of cloth stuffed between it and the body, and muting the afterlengths of the strings (I tie leather strings around to hold the bow quiver on) and raising the cabinet off the floor so the floor doesn't transfer vibration into the endpin. If you STILL need to get louder, stuff some foam in the f holes.
  3. Feral Feline

Feral Feline

+1 Yes & Yes.
    Underwood on the bass through the PZed-Pre into either my EA Micro 300/Wizzy 10 or into the house amp (I've had to play through fridges at festivals, stacks at bars etc) or DI to the house.

Have used this setup on both my carved and my semi-solid (lammy). I love telling the (acoustic) guitarist that the feedback he thinks is me, is he (or the Fiddler) and to prove it I'll mute my signal with the handy-dandy mute switch and somebody's still squealing away away. Occasionally play with a hard hitting drummer and was still able to crank the volume to the verge of feedback then knock it back a notch. I've never had to resort to socks behind the tailpiece or stuffing the ff-holes etc.

With the second channel I've saved the day when the fiddler forgot his LR Baggs, when the guitarist's amp pooped itself...

I had to tighten a 1/4" jack on it once, I've had it for a few years now – otherwise it's Bombproof, quiet, sounds good yadda yadda. Fat Bottom Radial you made a fan boy out of me.

Nonetheless, Disgruntled:
    1) Two inputs should have separate EQ (concentric knobs, hello :eyebrow:)
    2) 15v means you're married to a wall-wart or a very expensive power supply (not many out there do 15v) Radial could've done their customers a favour and made it 18v :banghead:.

MooseJaw SK, I suppose, judging by your handle. Born in Kindersley, myself...

PS: There's a few other RaB slappers I know using the PZ-Pre on another forum and they have been happy with it. I know of only one who wasn't entirely happy with it and wound up using something else, but he did say it was a good piece of kit, just preferred some other similar unit.
    Last edited: May 17, 2014