1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Anyone want to gig on the famous Sunset Strip?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Stewie26, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

Here is an interesting ad from CL, LA edition. It starts out promoting pay for play but ad copy takes a different direction near the end. Sounds like a pissed off musician
    that got ripped off by the pay to play scam. Who knows, might have even been written by a TB forum member.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/muc/3388922776.html

Now booking Musicians and Bands at world famous venues on the Sunset Strip and beyond!! Come out and play for MAJOR music industry and get discovered! All you need to do is send website, facebook, reverbnation links then get all of your friends, family, and fans out to see you play for 30 minutes and pay $10.00 plus parking etc. After we make $150.00 off of your performance and hours of promotion you get what's left over if you actually drug 15 people out to the nightmare that is Sunset Strip. No paid parking for the bands or free drinks. You are just really lucky to share your blood, sweat, and soul at these "World Famous" venues while we make at least $600 dollars an evening by doing no work nor promotions. Just watching you to play these totally tired venues while we dangle the carrot of fame in your face, treat you like chattle, and make over half a grand is the best job we've ever had SUCKERS!

Come on LA aren't we worth more than this? This isn't a sustainable business model and THAT is why so many of the venues are struggling. Stop playing these pathetic shows unless it's one of your first three ever and start respecting your selves and your talent!

2. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    Yeah, just think of the EXPOSURE you'll get!
    :rollno:

3. Booboobass

Booboobass

The whiskey wouldn't let us video our gig but offered to tape it for us for $700.00!!! They had a camera mounted to a spot light. We had our own camera and someone to work it.

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I want to be famous I'll do it sir

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I was in a band that would have jumped at that!

Key word, was

7. detracti

detracti

LMAO!!! That's hysterical!!

8. Mykk

Mykk

That's no joke. Let me tell you. But, gotta pay those dues. No, I didn't write it.

9. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

I played there in the 70's. But I wouldn't today. It's an armpit. :rollno:

vasilio likes this.