1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Anyone want to give a quick review of my rock 'n roll record?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by lavmonga, Jan 5, 2013.

1. lavmonga

lavmonga Supporting Member

I don't think I posted this when we released the record, but I'm always interested in what the TB community has to say about music. So here's my record, it was done on a tiny budget, and I'm not crazy about some of the mixes, but I still think it's some good, old fashioned rock 'n roll. Any input is appreciated as we are working on new tunes.

Streaming is free, and so is the download, if you like what you hear, I'd love for you to dl the album for free and spread the word.

http://ulyssescannon.bandcamp.com/

2. lavmonga

No one. Got it.

3. bolophonic

bolophonic

Definitely digging the hand-claps.

4. mcm

mcm

Sounds great bro. Thank god, some raw stuff!!!!!!!!!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lavmonga

Thank you both for the input. I have noted to keep the next record continually raw, and include claps! I really do appreciate you taking the time to check it out.

7. bassguitarthund

bassguitarthund

I will give it a listen tonight when I get home and report back to you. I am sure though it will be great :)

8. Mugre

Mugre

I like everything except the anticipated snare hits during the quieter parts. I get that he's trying to add rhythmic interest but to me they make it too herky jerky except in the loudest parts. Dig the old school slide guitar. Is that an SG? I like the vocals on the louder parts but would like to hear a little more melody on the verses. I like the breakdown as well. Overall, performance wise, I give it a B. For an A I would like the song itself to be a little stronger with maybe a hummable chorus. Style wise, it may suffer a bit by trying to serve two masters, deep blues and power rock but like I said, that's just what's keeping it from an A grade. I'm pretty fussy and from me a B is pretty good. I really liked the absence of gimmicky production and the authentic feeling of a rock band working it out.

for context, I'm 55 and grew up on Humble Pie, Savoy Brown/Foghat, Johhny Winter, Molly Hatchet etc. so the style is one that's near and dear to me.

Mugre