Anyone want to weigh in on this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Road-Dog, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Road-Dog

Road-Dog

Saw this ad on CL- Asheville,Nc-Musical Instruments

If your a collector then I have your attention, I have a 1974 fender jazz bass former owner Jaco Pastorious jazz bassist, I purchased this bass from him back in 1988 in fort lauderdale florida at a peaches record outlet where he was signing autographs, I paid $500 for it then, he was on his last leg drugs had taken control and needed the cash, to my benefit. I have only played it a few times it is in good condition the ext. jack needs soldering and there is no pick guard it had none when I bought it, comes with the original case which has seen some wear. I am firm on $1,200.00 its not negotiable first come first serve. Call me at 423-525-4395

2. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

Jaco died the year before.

3. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    I'd want to see some proof of this claim. Give me the link.

4. michael_atw

All lies aside about how he got it, it might be a good deal if it is original.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. christopherogut

christopherogut

7. michael_atw

Earlier period case, looks like everything is there but the original finish, pickguard, thumbrest. If the pups are original, it's a beautiful deal.

Hell, the neck is worth nearly that much alone if it is fully functional and the binding and frets look good.

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Some body should save the pics. I'm sure those pics will be floating around in some other for sale ad.

9. VintageBoutique

VintageBoutique Banned

To the craigslist poster in NC:

How about getting in touch with the Pastorius family(if the bass is proven real)? Maybe selling it back to them for the original asking price of $500. would be best. This is Jaco we're talking about here. And, you took advantage of his mental state.

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

If that was really his bass it would be worth four to five times that price on a bad day if you can imagine the number of celebrity bassists who would grab that in a heartbeat or even the family and it wouldn't be on CL it would be on an auction website.

11. christopherogut

christopherogut

I feel like shooting Julius a message on Facebook with a link to the craigslist ad. If this happens to be one that 'got away', I'm sure he or Felix knows a bit about it.

12. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

I believe there are a few pics of jaco playing a natural jazz in the portrait of jaco cd jacket. Or maybe it was punk jazz.

13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Hey what's up Jauqo ! That Essence of The Groove is the bomb man it's giving my hands a workout just what I needed.

14. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I responded to the ad and asked how he was able to purchase the bass from Jaco in 1988 when died in 1987. I'll let you know if I get a reply.

15. christopherogut

christopherogut

I don't think I've ever seen a pic of Jaco playing a Fender with a bound/block neck...

16. SirMjac28

That's a great idea would be nice for the family if it is authentic seeing all the trouble they had with the bass of doom.

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:

Hey Mike, I'm glad it's working out for you.

18. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Regardless if it's true or not..seems like a good price

19. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

Heck if it's proved to be real and not even a famous bass the price isn't bad.

By the way, Road-Dog, you live in one of the prettiest places on earth. We have a place in Banner Elk just across the line. A buddy and I hiked part of the trail last year and it nearly KILLED us. We were not as prepared as we thought for three days of the big one. Still, the setting was amazing.

Sorry, back to the bass.

20. iunno

iunno

I don't think Jaco would play a 70s Jazz unless he was experimenting with his tone, the 70s bridge pickup is about half an inch closer to the bridge, and sounds rather different. I've seen a picture of him with a natural wood Jazz, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Fender. It's probably just a Jazz with no pickguard.

21. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:

Jaco did indeed own and play a fretted natural color Fender jazz.

And of course it was a 60's that didn't have blocks or bindings.

Attached Files:

• Jp.jpg
      Jp.jpg
      File size:
      95.4 KB
      Views: