Anyone who owns a DI box, do you having running on all the time?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ambissonnett, Jan 20, 2014.

1. ambissonnett

ambissonnett

This is a topic I've always been curious on. I bought a Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver about 2 months ago, and I absolutely love the pedal. Although, there are times I feel that sometimes my sound gets limited to that at times. But I feel I don't like the stock tone that comes from my bass just plugged into my amp. Does anyone else feel this way? I know DI's help enhance certain tones for certain styles of music, so this has always been on my mind.

2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

You mean pedals always on. The answer is many do as you do with BDDI and other overdrives.

BDDI is a historical happy accident. It's meant as FOH amp simulation / DI, but found a lot of use as an effect pedal.

3. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

yes, my tech 21 di stays on, it enhances the overall tone

4. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

Yep! I use mine selectively in my chain like any other pedal, but I also use it as one of my DI options...so I built a bypass for it (the BDDI isn't true bypass) lets me keep it lifted, inserted, or live but out of my signal chain. Now I can use it however I want and keep it completely lifted out when I'm not using it. The BDDI is swell like that.

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

To clarify, DI's don't enhance tones (well there's the whole Jensen transformer and tube thing, but that's not what we're talking about here). DI's simply convert your instrument signal into something a PA or recording console can use. Preamp pedals enhance tones in the way your are talking about, and many preamps in pedal form have a DI built into them. The Sansamp is one and a bit different from most because it's actually made to emulate a mic'd amp sound when going direct into a PA or recording interface, and it just happens that a lot of people really dig it as a tone-shaping pedal going into their amp, too. It's really versatile that way.

It can be "limiting" in that you will always have that baked-in sound, which is the case with most preamp pedals because most are going for a signature sound. There are other options that go for a more neutral tone that just enhances your bass tone without coloring it too much. 3 Leaf Audio's "The Enabler" is one example that also has the DI option. Other popular "always on" effects around here that don't have a DI include the Wren and Cuff Phat Phuk B and Fuzzrocious BDPG. I like to use a Runoffgroove Ginger for tone-shaping, but like you, I find having one pedal always on to be a bit limiting. There's always a trade off, I suppose.

7. ambissonnett

ambissonnett

Yeah you make some excellent points. I think I run into a little trouble because my two basses I use have different pickups in them. So I'm constantly changing the EQ settings to get the proper sound I want. It can be a hassle at times.

8. jumblemind

Have you considered the BDDI deluxe? Get your presets on and swap basses with confidence.

9. ambissonnett

ambissonnett

Yeah, I do like the presets. I just don't have $270 bucks to blow freely right now haha Life's tough as a poor college student. I can handle changing the presets right now. Plus, I also think for gigs I might just use one bass at a time, that way I'm not constantly changing all the EQ settings. This problem just occurs with every practice, I usually switch them every time so their getting equal playing time.

10. metaball

metaball

for several years the Sansamp BDDI Programmable was my only bass pedal. & as bandmates moved their bass gear away, it & my bass became my entire bass rig for recording tracks & noodling in the garage. i eventually built up a pedalboard around the BDDI & after much deliberation kicked it off the board due to the fizzy fart (amp emulation) sound it makes that wont go away. it's DI/amp duties were replaced by Radial Bassbone & a B3K Overdrive which allows me to shut off the fizzy grit if I want a clean sound. Great pedal though, especially if you don't play really clean. I got many years of recording & playing out of it before moving on.

11. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I got the same pedal in November and do exactly the same thing you do with it.

12. brianrost

brianrost Supporting Member

No pedals for me. If the amp sounds bad, it's the wrong amp.

I know a lot of guys bought SansAmps to get a tubey sound, esp. SVT sound. My take is if I wanted the Ampeg sound, I'd go buy an SVT...done!!

13. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

I don't play without my Aguilar db900 tube DI even if I'm not going to the pa.

It takes out what I don't want, leaves what I do want, applies a soft natural compression and takes the harsh edges off my Darkstar P.

Mike

14. jumblemind

And my take is if I wanted to haul a 100lb hunk of steel machinery to every rinky dink little gig I play instead of getting a good sound with something that fits in my gig bag pocket, I'd go buy an SVT, too.

15. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

Yup! And my take is that I like how my SansAmp sounds and I don't care about Ampeg.