Anyone with carpal tunnel

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by chris4001asat, Feb 24, 2013.

1. chris4001asat

chris4001asat Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Pretty sure I have it. Do those wrists supports help? I saw a night time one and a daytime one. I was thinking of trying the nightime one because it has been keeping me up the past few nights.
  2. m0ranwad

m0ranwad

Bump,

I've been practicing excessively, and for the first time I had a shooting pain that nearly felt like an electric shock in my forearm/wrist.

Does carpal tunnel go away? Or once the damage is done, it's done?

I'm gonna go do some research...
  3. tplyons

tplyons

I've suffered from CTS for over ten years and have been able to manage the pain to move forward without surgery.

1) Understand that the pain is your body's way of telling you something is wrong. Don't play through it. STOP and rest.

2) Read The Bassist's Guide to Injury Management by Dr. Randall Kertz. He is both a bassist and chiropractor/acupuncturist. This book will give you additional understanding of what's going on in there. You can buy it here: http://www.drkertz.com/buy_book.html

3) I've found that it was more than bass playing that caused me pain. Spending so much time working on laptops was a portion of it, as well as my posture. Find other things in your life to correct.

4) RICE Method. Rest when you're in pain. Ice the affected area. Compression. Elevation. DON'T KEEP PLAYING!

5) I am able to manage living my life with bad CTS in my right wrist by doing all of this. A little bit of Tylenol and REST will go a long way.

Yes, splints help. If I'm feeling achy in the wrist, I will use a splint at night. But right around this time every year, from being cooped up indoors and spending more time sitting still, with poor posture, and a laptop nearby, I end up putting myself on rest for about two weeks, in the splint with minimal usage.
  4. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

I have it, and its getting worse as I get older. Sometimes it wakes me up in the early morning with severe pain, and numbness in my left hand/fingertips that sometimes lasts all day. It's really frustrating trying to play bass in this condition. My doctor has me wearing a brace at night, but it doesn't seem to help. Surgery is also an option.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chris4001asat

chris4001asat Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Does it come on suddenly? I started a new job a month ago that's pretty laborous wristwise. All of a sudden, I'm waking up early in the morning, my arm numb, pins and needles in the fingers...
  7. ulrich

ulrich

Night and day? My doc prescribed one all purpose pair. He recommended them for long drives as well.

The wrist guards help. Exercises help. Under desk keyboard/mouse tray helped the most.
  8. canelbreath

canelbreath

As another long term sufferer let me say. See your Doc ASAP. Use splints at night, especially if you are waking up with numbness. CTS can cause permanent nerve damage if not treated.