Anything better then an American deluxe?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by justanotherUN, Dec 3, 2013.

1. justanotherUN

justanotherUN

So I've been looking at getting a new bass, had my eye on a Fender American Deluxe 5. Mainly for the ease of playing and how light they are. I currently play a warwick and it's destroying my back, especially when I have week long stints of gigs. So just wondering if anyone can recommend any other basses that they have or have played that they think would be a better investment, or is the deluxe my best shot?
  2. Jason Wilson

Jason Wilson

This question will probably get you a million different suggestions.
    But there will be a lot of questions as well. What sort of music do you play? What sound are you wanting? budget? etc

It is hard to figure out what you would be a good idea as a Fender and a Warwick are quite different beasts.

I'll just throw one out there. Kubicki Phillips ex factor is an awesome bass at not too much cash outlay. IMO, it has a very fast neck (and strong, 32 laminates), not very heavy, the most balanced bass I have played, the easiest to tune, a wide variety of sounds and has an extra fret on the E string so you can un clamp the string and play an open D or fret an Eb.

It is a more unusual shape/style so will depend on your tastes.

Anyway, my 5 cents worth
  3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

i'd be happy as a pig in poop if i had one!:hyper:
  4. Turnaround

Turnaround

Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    Anything better than a Fender American Deluxe? Yes.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. justanotherUN

justanotherUN

I play all different types of music, I'm looking for an all rounder work horse. Budget wise I'm not looking to break the bank too much. I realise that quite obviously there are basses that are better then a deluxe. Just wondering if there are any hidden gems out there in a similar price bracket.
  7. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

For some reason I have never played a good Deluxe bass. I tried maybe five of them and they all had very dull wood. Maybe just a bad luck?
  8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

An American standard jazz with an East J-retro preamp would be superior to the deluxe, IMO.....
  9. inate_hex

inate_hex

Musicman Bongo, if you can get past the looks.
  10. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

I agree with this.
  11. Alder P Ashman

Alder P Ashman

Look into
    Fender Custom Classic,
    Lakland DJ 5 (darryl jones sig)
    Dingwall Super J or P

IME the Custom Classic is much better than the Am Deluxe series
  12. P Town

P Town Guest

I own a 2011 Fender Am Dlx P, and a 2012 Am Dlx J, both in clear natural ash, with maple finger boards. I bought them new, (ordered in at a local shop), and the workmanship is very high quality. They play real nice. The active/passive switch gives a broad range of tones. The ash bodies are very resonant. The need for any seasonal truss rod adjustment has been almost none. They have carbon fiber rods, and double acting truss rods. They also have a compound radius fret board. They both weigh about 9.6 lbs. They also look beautiful. I put flats on the P, and I like it just a little better thnt the J, (which cost $100.00 more). I looked at a lot of other basses before buying these, and I am very satisfied.
  13. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

In terms of weight, I played a 5 string Spector bolton. I think it was ash. It had to be no more than 8 pounds.
  14. fredolee16

fredolee16

This is a personal preference,,,If you ask me,,,I will choose some basses over the Fender Deluxe and some of those basses are cheaper than the American Deluxe,,,Why? because those basses fits my style, my music and my hands and I'm sure that lot of bass players will be agree with me.
  15. Immigrant

Immigrant

Can someone please explain to me why a Fender Deluxe 5 would be a back saver compared to a Warwick? Are they really that different when it comes to weight? I don't think the Fender would really be any more than 1 lb lighter, unless the Warwick weighs 12 lbs.

Thanks in advance for clearing it up for me.
  16. Justice4trance

Justice4trance

Don't know if u will be able to adapt with a fender tone after being familiar with a Warwick ...get a lighter warwick as well as a pre amp ?
  17. adi77

adi77 Banned

modulus?
  18. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

If you want a world class B string get a Dingwall, do not know what your budget is though...
  19. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

If you're looking at buying brand new, then pretty much ANY bass that is fairly priced on the used market is a better investment.

Personally, I would take a used EBMM Sterling 5 H or G&L L-2500 over an Am Dlx J 5 any day. Less money and as good or better quality. And still from one of Leo's companies...
  20. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers and Spector Basses
    IMO if you want to keep the same vibe as the Warwick and actually improve the tone a bit go with a Spector Euro series bass. You could probably flip the Warwick and break even. I say this because I had a very nice neck thru $4000 Warwick Thumb and sold it it for cash and an older Spector Euro series that was probably worth $800 at the time. The Spector blew it out of the water in weight, tone, and playability. Don't get me wrong, Warwicks are great basses but IMO Spectors do everything Warwicks do better for less, at least when your talking about the Spector euro series.
  21. MattyH

MattyH

Lakland DJ 5
    Lakland 55-02 (VERY LIGHT)
    Lakland 55-60

Spector

G&L L-2500

Any of these over a Jazz Am Deluxe. Especially the 5 string version. Fender 5 strings IMO are terrible. Too loose and floppy. You need that tight B!

(EBMM Stingrays are heavy as hell, but the Sterling may be different.)