1. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

Aphex 651 Expressor compressor

Discussion in 'For Sale: Accessories' started by bongomania, Jan 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    FS/T: an Aphex 651 rack compressor.

Easily one of the best compressors I've ever owned, and if you know me, that's saying something. :smug: In fact once my economic situation picks back up I plan to re-buy this model. Actually I plan to buy two, so I can directly A/B the Williams-modded and stock versions. But that's just not in the cards at this time.

[​IMG]

It's in somewhat rough cosmetic condition, but excellent functional condition. Important note: this model only has XLR connectors, it has no 1/4" jacks, so to use it in an unbalanced loop you'll need an XLRF-1/4"TS cable and an XLRM-1/4"TS cable.

$145 shipped to the West half of the US (Dakotas down to TX and westward), $155 shipped East (MN down to LA and eastward), $165 shipped anywhere outside the 48 continental states.

Please let me know if you have any Q's. Not really looking for trades, but I'll consider any compressor I haven't reviewed yet. Tanks!
  2. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Bump for the comp man. I would be all over this if I didn't just get one.
  3. Bulltrout

Bulltrout Supporting Member

I bought a second one just in case something happens to my first one. Great compressor.
  4. barebones

barebones Bare Bones Bass Builder Supporting Member

PM'ed. Thanks!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. starvingbassist

starvingbassist

must......find.....some.......money..... :mad:

seriously buddy. if this is still here in two weeks its mine..damn responsibility just bought an amp so I'm eating the peanut butter off of the mousetraps:rollno:
  7. shriekback

shriekback

I won't argue with Bongomania's experience, but I ran one of these (via XLR to 1/4" cables) in the effects loop of of a GK 800rb and got excellent results. I would get as many comments and questions from bass players at gigs about it as I would about my Steinberger bass. I have the updated (but not meaningfully improved) 661 in my rack now, or I'd buy this one.

I have my 661 mounted with my preamp in a small and light rack case I can take to the studio for recording or (with a separately mounted power amp) to gigs. Highly recommended setup.

[​IMG]
  8. starvingbassist

starvingbassist

oh thanks for the extra GAS! ;)
  9. bongomania

Disclosures:
    Actually that's good to know! I've had some problems mixing balanced and unbalanced gear in the past, so now I think of them as being mutually exclusive as a rule. But in fact that doesn't mean it will always be that way, and if you got good results then that's good news for a lot of people, because that's the big "hang-up" with my recommendation of the 651/661. I have to go do some experimenting with it now. :)
  10. shriekback

shriekback

I'm glad I could help, especially a fellow bassist in my much missed home town. It's not like the GK has a particularly sophisticated effects loop either, so it should work fine in any rack setup, the only requirement for your average bass amp being a pair of 1/4" to XLR cables (easily obtained anywhere).

I'll look forward to the results of your experiment, but I'll be very surprised if you encounter any problems.
  11. Bulltrout

Bulltrout Supporting Member

I used one through the effects loop on a LMII to good effect as well.
  12. bongomania

Disclosures:
    Confirmed! And I'm glad to stand corrected on this one. I just ran some experiments, and the 651 performed perfectly with unbalanced connections. I even got it to run off an instrument-level signal, though the end signal wasn't as clean that way, it did work.

OK folks, those of you I scared away previously with the whole "balanced only" business, come back! :p
  13. starvingbassist

starvingbassist

great! now I have to sell a kidney
  14. bongomania

Disclosures:
  15. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk Supporting Member

hey bongo......i've been eyeing down compressors.....but in pedal form unfortunately but i still may be interested because i've been looking for a comp! does this compare to any pedal comp out there?
  16. bongomania

Disclosures:
    No, there is no pedal that is anywhere near as good as the 651. :)

...And this one is now SOLD!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.