Aphex 651 Expressor compressor

Discussion in 'For Sale: Accessories' started by bongomania, Jan 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    FS/T: an Aphex 651 rack compressor.

Easily one of the best compressors I've ever owned, and if you know me, that's saying something. :smug: In fact once my economic situation picks back up I plan to re-buy this model. Actually I plan to buy two, so I can directly A/B the Williams-modded and stock versions. But that's just not in the cards at this time.

[​IMG]

It's in somewhat rough cosmetic condition, but excellent functional condition. Important note: this model only has XLR connectors, it has no 1/4" jacks, so to use it in an unbalanced loop you'll need an XLRF-1/4"TS cable and an XLRM-1/4"TS cable.

$145 shipped to the West half of the US (Dakotas down to TX and westward), $155 shipped East (MN down to LA and eastward), $165 shipped anywhere outside the 48 continental states.

Please let me know if you have any Q's. Not really looking for trades, but I'll consider any compressor I haven't reviewed yet. Tanks!
  2. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Bump for the comp man. I would be all over this if I didn't just get one.
  3. Bulltrout

Bulltrout Supporting Member

I bought a second one just in case something happens to my first one. Great compressor.
  4. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

PM'ed. Thanks!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. starvingbassist

starvingbassist

must......find.....some.......money..... :mad:

seriously buddy. if this is still here in two weeks its mine..damn responsibility just bought an amp so I'm eating the peanut butter off of the mousetraps:rollno:
  7. shriekback

shriekback

I won't argue with Bongomania's experience, but I ran one of these (via XLR to 1/4" cables) in the effects loop of of a GK 800rb and got excellent results. I would get as many comments and questions from bass players at gigs about it as I would about my Steinberger bass. I have the updated (but not meaningfully improved) 661 in my rack now, or I'd buy this one.

I have my 661 mounted with my preamp in a small and light rack case I can take to the studio for recording or (with a separately mounted power amp) to gigs. Highly recommended setup.

[​IMG]
  8. starvingbassist

starvingbassist

oh thanks for the extra GAS! ;)
  9. bongomania

Disclosures:
    Actually that's good to know! I've had some problems mixing balanced and unbalanced gear in the past, so now I think of them as being mutually exclusive as a rule. But in fact that doesn't mean it will always be that way, and if you got good results then that's good news for a lot of people, because that's the big "hang-up" with my recommendation of the 651/661. I have to go do some experimenting with it now. :)
  10. shriekback

shriekback

I'm glad I could help, especially a fellow bassist in my much missed home town. It's not like the GK has a particularly sophisticated effects loop either, so it should work fine in any rack setup, the only requirement for your average bass amp being a pair of 1/4" to XLR cables (easily obtained anywhere).

I'll look forward to the results of your experiment, but I'll be very surprised if you encounter any problems.
  11. Bulltrout

Bulltrout Supporting Member

I used one through the effects loop on a LMII to good effect as well.
  12. bongomania

Disclosures:
    Confirmed! And I'm glad to stand corrected on this one. I just ran some experiments, and the 651 performed perfectly with unbalanced connections. I even got it to run off an instrument-level signal, though the end signal wasn't as clean that way, it did work.

OK folks, those of you I scared away previously with the whole "balanced only" business, come back! :p
  13. starvingbassist

starvingbassist

great! now I have to sell a kidney
  14. bongomania

Disclosures:
  15. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk Supporting Member

hey bongo......i've been eyeing down compressors.....but in pedal form unfortunately but i still may be interested because i've been looking for a comp! does this compare to any pedal comp out there?
  16. bongomania

Disclosures:
    No, there is no pedal that is anywhere near as good as the 651. :)

...And this one is now SOLD!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.