1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

APJ-1 (Basslines Pro-active) in GSR-200

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by two4two, Oct 12, 2006.

1. two4two

two4two

The GSR has the Phat-2 EQ circuit. Anyone ever wire this up? I've got 'em in there and not a sound is to be heard.
  2. 62bass

62bass

I haven't wired one up but the GSR uses passive pickups. For an upgrade I'd replace with compatible passive pickups.
  3. two4two

two4two

I kept the APJ-1's and just bypassed the stock Phat EQ board. They sound great! Now I believe the bass is worth more than it's worth. But I read their wiring diagram upside-down and so the volumes were back ward, I had to turn it up to turn it down. And tone was backwards, treble was really bass. So I re-did it ONE MORE TIME! But by now the pots are scratchy. :( :( :(. I hope the spray cleaner works, other wise it back to ground floor and getting new 100k audi pots and doing it all over again. I Yi Yi Yi YI.
  4. two4two

two4two

PS: anyone ever wire them up with TWO batteries (18v)?
  5. two4two

two4two

Ultimately I went with the 9-volt.= battery. The Phat-2 does NOT work with the APJ-1 pickups. After a lot of fussing around I eventually ruined the supplied pots and had to order new ones. I wired as the diagram from the web site and all is well. Battery life is a problem (I keep plugged in for long periods.) And since they tried to set them up at the same level as passive pickups voicing is somewhat week. So even though they are active pickups I need to plug them into the hi-gain input of the amp. Otherwise the sound is excellent!!!! They make my entry level GSR-200 sound like a more expensive bassman or something. I use those smooth flat-wound strings. It gives a jass-like sound in combo with the modern voicing of the APJ-1 and it's a really great sound for all kinds of music. Adjust the EQ to suit and it can handle many different styles. I don't use an effects box or a floor box. Oops, actually I do use an OC-3 sometimes, but very suble settings. Our guitars use effects box but not excessively. We play stage amps exclusively. No line-in to mixers. That's just not guitar to me. Keyboard Motif to mixer is OK though.
  6. 62bass

62bass

Doesn't the GSR 200 have a P-J set up? Did you mod it for 2 Js or did you just replace the bridge J?

I'm just a bit confused as you mention only the J pickup.

Sorry. I just re-read your post and realized that you did buy a P-J set. I apologize for being so dense.