1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Apologies in advanced... Tech questions Watts/Ohms

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by AshdownMad, Aug 9, 2013.

1. AshdownMad

AshdownMad

I feel embarrassed to ask this but iv been looking thru the interworld for an hour with no sure answer...
    (and id rather be safe than sorry)

I have my Ashdown ABM 300 watt (@8 ohms)[Min load 4]

Just to make sure this is right;

I have an ABM 2x10 cab (300w @ 8)
    and am going to get a new cab which is rated also at 300w @ 8
    So 600W at 4Ohms.

Am i right in thinking my amp is gonna push out a total 600 watts at 4 ohms (and split it evenly 300W per cab)?

Also (this will get some peoples backs up) running a same powered 4x10 cab (300 watts) with the 2x10 cab (300 watts), is the imbalance of power per driver going to annoy the amp/me?

2. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Disclosures:
    MI Amp Engineer: Peavey Electronics
    If you have a 300W amp, and the minimum load is 4ohms, if you use two 8 ohm cabs, each cab gets 150W at full rated amplifier output.

If you have an 8 ohm 210, and an 8 ohm 410, you should be safe because you are not really risking overpowering the 210 with your amp. Will you like it, will you be annoyed, is it worth it, etc...? That's up to you.

3. schecter5string

schecter5string

The 410 will get 300 watts, split between its 4 drivers.
    The 210 will get 300 watts, split between its 2 drivers.
    You will run the risk of blowing the 210 with this set up, so keep this in mind.

I think your amp will push closer to 500 watts at 4ohms, but still, the 210 will be pushed much harder than the 410

4. AshdownMad

AshdownMad

Right ok, but surely if its splitting the power between the 2 cabs equally then the 4x10 is getting 75watt per speaker and the 2x10 is getting 150 watt per speaker (which is what each speaker is rated for in the different cabs)[and with my current 210 + 115 setup is what its getting currently)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. schecter5string

schecter5string

True, but, the 150 watt rating is for thermal meltdown.
    They will exceed thier phyical limits much sooner than that, and that = blown speakers
    Edit:
    Your 115/210 is a better match than a 410/210
    The reason is the 115/210 will put out around the same volume.
    The 410 will be alot louder, if the 210 starts to fart out, chances are you will not hear it in time.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

This proposed pairing is far from ideal, as the 210 will reach its limits much sooner than the 410 will. The rig as a whole will be limited to the output of the 210, rendering the 410 as a large under-used part. You'd do just as well with the 410 by itself, even though the amp would produce less power. Remember, watts do not equal volume.

8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Usually SS amps are rated at the minimum impedance, so it's probable Bobby was dead right. It is enough power that you could still give the 2x10 some stress if you eq low and push hard.

Fwiw, 2x vertical 2x10 would be near as dammit as loud but give far better sound for most genres.

9. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Only the amp can "make watts" and at 4 ohms without looking it up the best you will get is 500 watts. That 500 watts will be sent to both cabs @ ~ 250 watts each.
    With a 8 ohm rating of 300 I would suspect more like 450 @ 4 ohms (225 each).

10. AshdownMad

AshdownMad

Ok awesome thanks for your replies :D