1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Apparently I just got fired from a band I helped form!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by kjpollo, Dec 19, 2012.

1. kjpollo

kjpollo Supporting Member

What a freaking afternoon!! I've been part of a NON-gigging classic rock cover band for about 3 years. We've had a TON of stops and starts over the years and now I've apparently been canned.
    The band was started by a very talented lead guitarist a drummer and me. We all knew each other since grammar school but we had never played together before. We went through a number of rhythm players and singers and finally settled on a lineup late last year. We even found an excellent keyboard player.

Anyway, we have always had issues getting on a regular rehearsal schedule because most of us are married with kids, lives and day jobs.
    Well, about 2 months ago, our singer told us at the last minute that he couldnt make a rehearsal- our drummer went ballistic and quit and the keyboard player left at the same time. Fortunately, we quickly found a new drummer and a new place to practice but now we shifted rehearsals to Wednesday nights. I told everyone from the outset that weeknights are difficult for me due to work (and sometimes home) schedule. It can vary a lot and it can change pretty quickly.
    2 weeks ago my wife had minor surgery on Tuesday. The next day, rehearsal day, I got saddled with a late real estate closing and I didnt even leave my office (which is an hour away from the practice space) until 7 which is when practice starts. As soon as I knew I was assigned that closing early in the afternoon, I contacted the singer to let him know the night was now doubtful for me. THEN my wife called that afternoon and said she was feeling worse the day AFTER the surgery and she needed me home.
    So that meant I was out. Coincidentally, our drummer also had a conflict that night that I didnt even know about. Unfortunately, no one contacted our rhythm player and he went to the rehearsal space and no one was there and he ended up quitting.

Now today its a week before Christmas and my wife and I still have a bunch of shopping and other holiday prep to do so I let everybody know around noon that I was out for tonight.
    Well, the singer blew up my cellphone MFing me up and down for about 45 minutes. Then he finally apologized and said he calmed down. I didnt respond because by now I was seriously teed off.

Fast forward to tonight, I open my email and the dirtball sent an email to the other current band members AND the 3 guys who have quit over the last 3 months and he utterly roasts me. AND he accuses my wife of not wanting me to play in a band. He also was threatening to fire anybody else who didnt show up tonight.
    (side note- the ex-drummer contacted me- said the email was WAY out of bounds and he was upset that it was even sent to him in the first place)
    And here's the kicker- he's in this band because of ME!! last year I was asking a friend of mine who's a killer karaoke singer to try out and he begged off and suggested the guy we ended up with. I had met him a couple of times before and he seemed OK to me.

So now even if the other 2 guys decide to stick with this guy, it sure feels like I'm done.
    What a strange way for this to end...I never saw it coming.
  2. bluewine

bluewine

This one went completely over my head. I am going to wait and read comments from others.

However, I would like to know what a " non gigging cover band" is?

Blue
  3. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

Band drama.........gotta love it. Sometimes I think there is more drama in bands than in a marriage. :meh:
  4. kjpollo

LOL- OK by non-gigging, I meant that we never got to play out anywhere due to all the lineup changes and stops and false starts we had.
    We actually had a couple of gigs lined up last year but neither one came to fruition.
  5. Depth_Charge

Depth_Charge

It's a group of guys who get together, and play covers in a room, either for the sheer enjoyment of it, or with the intention of scoring some gigs once all the ducks line up.

kjpollo - sounds like you're really better off. Take some time to deal with the situation, keep your chops up, start looking for something more in line with what you want. And contact the other band members you got on with, straighten the story out (not publically, thats asking for trouble) and you never know, you might end up with the backbone of a gigging cover band. Good luck :)
  6. Roadkill

Roadkill Short Scale Addict Supporting Member

Hey, where in CT are yah? Maybe we can form a band drama support group or an all bass band :D .

Seriously, sounds about two years overdue. Still sucks I know :( .
  7. bluewine

bluewine

If the band had no gigs in 3 years of trying to get it together consider this episode a blessing.

Blue
  8. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Well, you did the right thing by your family. Let me get that out of the way first.

That being said, you guys PRACTICE TO STINKING MUCH! How in the heck can it take a band more than half a dozen practices to be ready to GIG? I will never understand it! I would have quit your band too. If you ever start another band, get together with the guys and make a set list. Go HOME and learn the dang music. Practice each (of three) sets TWICE. Then have a couple of practices where you blow through everything ONCE. ANYONE who is NOT READY after that simply can not play! Oy! Three years?????

People would stick around if the venture was worth while. Jamming an hour away from the house once a week for no purpose is not worth while.

Sorry for the rant. I just read too many stories of guys getting canned because they aren't committed enough to practice FOUR THOUSAND TIMES.

Hope your wife feels better. Enjoy your holiday without the stupid band.
  9. SactoBass

+1

KJ: congratulations. You just got rid of some dead weight. You are now free to pursue a real band! :bassist:
  10. SactoBass

Indeed!
  11. kjpollo

I did exactly that regarding the response. I did it privately.
    I emailed the drummer and remaining guitarist and let them know. I spoke to the guitarist earlier in the day. He understands how these things work because he had just gone through a serious relationship mess with his very longterm GF over his work hours and his band time. Things are ok now but he missed 3 weeks of rehearsals over it, and the singer didnt go ballistic on him.
    Problem is, the singer is a single guy who recently lost his day job. Never married, his only kid is an adult who lives 2 states away. So his time is completely his own.
  12. bluewine

bluewine

Considering what you've been through, you might want to pursue a spot with an established gigging cover band. Avoid start up projects.

Blue
  13. Roadkill

Not the case here ;) but it is usually a bunch of guys that get together to jam covers they are "into" that nobody in the "real world" wants to hear and that no more than two of the guys actually work on outside of the rehearsals. Extra points if those two are the only ones that remember ever hearing it before. They are also convinced those $1500 gigs will come knocking if they just hang in there long enough and don't "sell out" :rollno: .
  14. kjpollo

Roadkill- I met you at the NE GTG!!! I was the guy with the Clement custom.

And really, as far as the non-gigging goes- we were having a lot of fun with it. We never had the idea of making this a 3-times-a-month gigging deal. We figured one a month or so, maybe playing on our own, maybe opening for a more established act, maybe playing an hour at a multi-band charitable benefit show.
  15. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I hope your wife feels better wow all of this stuff and you aren't gigging ? You have a wonderful family a job in a very tough industry with all of those extra responsibilities
    who needs it? Music is supposed to be relaxing and fun and if you can make some money on the side doing it that is an added bonus.
  16. bluewine

bluewine

Hmmmm, then my suggestion to pursue an established gigging cover band won't work for you.

Blue
  17. Roadkill

It's surprisingly hard to land those as a cover band even if you're willing to do it for $0. First gig I every played we were supposed to open for another band and play two sets. They didn't show and we had to play our two sets twice :D . I think one guy noticed LOL. It was probably a Wednesday or Thursday night back when live music wasn't dead. Kinda funny, last paid gig I played was on the same stage earlier this year - Sir Morgan's Cove now The Lucky Dog Music Hall up in Wormtown. Same craphole it always was LOL.
  18. bluewine

bluewine

In my area, cover band means 4 hours. No opening band.

Blue
  19. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

+1

Rehearsal is fine. Once or twice a week MAX. Any cover band I EVER played in had a standard rule: learn the set list on your OWN TIME. Rehearsal is to get everything in place and then start playing out. You came to rehearsal unprepared, you caught hell.

Nowadays, we get together when we are working on stage cues, lighting cues and harmonies. We are all expected to know our parts...hell, we WROTE the damn music, why rehearse it over and over...

From your description, I doubt (but I don't know) that there was EVER any hope of going out. sounds more like a bunch of buds getting together and jammin....
  20. Roadkill

There's your problem right there - ain't gonna get "new cover band" gigs around here worthy of playing more than a third hand Squire LOL.