1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Appearance differences - Squier & Fender jazz basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RufusB, Dec 22, 2012.

1. RufusB

RufusB

Hey there.
    I'm buying a Squier Standard Jazz Bass as my first real bass, since it's all I can afford at the moment. (Getting it in a second-hand deal, coming with an amp etc. for a very nice price).

The only thing I am worried about is gear snobbery or not being taken seriously - even though it's my first bass, I'd like it to be playable at a gig because that situation might happen within a year or so.
    My guitarist who I plan on jamming with has shelled out 800€ on his Jackson Dinky and I'd rather not look like a newbie alongside him.

I know there's nothing wrong with the Squier, it's an ego thing I guess. So I'm planning on modding my Squier a bit when I get it to make it look more like the real thing, starting with a headstock decal.

I was wondering, what else is there in appearance that differs from the Squier Standard Jazz & let's say a Fender MIM Jazz bass? Apparently the pickguards are shaped a little different and this is one of the thing I'd be looking to change.

I plan on upgrading the bridge & tuners to Gotohs so I'm not so worried about them.
    Here's what I've come up with so far

- Headstock decal
    - Tuners, bridge
    - Neckplate
    - Scratchplate (can someone elaborate here?)
    - Pickups

If I upgrade all these, do you think my Squier would be distinguishable from a Fender to a (relatively) close spectator?
    Want to stress here that I DO NOT PLAN on selling this as a Fender, you'll have to take my word there.

Thanks for any help
  2. ZombieSpacebat

ZombieSpacebat

If you plan on changing so many things you may as well just get a Fender from the beginning and maybe swap the pickups if you feel you need to. You can pick up an MIM Fender for not too much cash anyway.
  3. RufusB

RufusB

@ZombieSpacebat
    A Fender MIM is about 550€ new or 300€ used at the very least.
    I am getting the Squier with all the extras for sub €200, so really the Squier is costing me about €100.
    I get where you're coming from but I'm in a serious pinch so I'll still be saving a decent bit of money.
  4. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Less than .05% of people will care or notice. It is typically more expensive to upgrade instead of just getting something better in the first place, though.
  5. backup

backup

oh man seriously.

ive been playing my squier jazz for three years now and NEVER met anyone who commented on my bass negatively.

squier instruments are great. i switched the bridge to a fender vintage and the nut to a synthetic bone one. thats it.
    the only downside is the craft man ship and the wood. its darn heavy and there are production flaws. but you cant fix that with upgrades.

so i second the existing post, either get yourself a fender (which is probably a better idea) or take the squier as it is.
    as it is your first instrument it will fulfill your needs.

PLEASE NO FENDER DECALS!!! you might sell it as squier but the buyer will resell it as a fender. your honesty doesnt mean ****. ive seen many kids being ripped of.
  6. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

Bro, play well and you could play a child's bass and still be taken seriously.
  7. RufusB

RufusB

Screw it, you're right! Nevermind, I might upgrade the pickups and leave it at that.
    Thanks for the advice guys!
    backup, out of interest, what production flaws are on your Squier?
  8. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

There's nothing wrong with that. They have some good Basses

Practice, Learn some theory and tighten up your groove. Playing speaks louder than gear. You wont get hired simply because you have a nice Bass, and if you do..... Its probably going downhill

The biggest gig I've ever played in my life, was last year. And I did with a Sterling by Musicman SB14, Behringer BX4500H and a homemade 115 cab.

Gear snobs are usually guys with a little bit of money that can't play. They aren't gonna get all Westboro baptist at your shows and point out your Bass

If there is nothing wrong with it, Why change it. People don't care if you have a 200 dollar Bass or a 20,000 dollar Bass.
    Will it really make you feel better playing phony Bass?

TRUTH...
    Fender Decals on Squier Basses is for posers. The ones that drive their parents new car by their old jobs and pretend they are doing good in life:scowl:
  9. audiomitch

audiomitch

I bought a Squier Jazz 5 recently that had a Fender decal already. It was advertised as a Squier and wasn't a great job anway. Anyhow, I know how you feel about the gear snobbery. If I was going to disguise a Squier, I think I'd just get rid of the logo altogether. A blank headstock and call it "boutique" ;)
  10. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

^^^^ This

I say grow up a little and dont care so much about what other people may think.
    Get the bass and play it, save your money.
  11. backup

backup

couple dead frets out of the box, the bridge is not completely in line with the neck and the electronics were loose and came of afeter a year. also as i said, its lemonly heavy. other than that every thing is fine.
    besides, those flaws arent really noticable. the electronics are easily fixed.
    all in all great bass (vintage modified jazz) with great tone.
  12. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

i personally would get a kick out of playing a cheap bass really well and blowing peeps away. in fact, i did just that for over 25 years...
    i heard a really good bassist on thursday laying it down with a cheap ibanez bass and it sounded fine.
  13. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

Fender logo doesn't make you a better player. Get the bass set up properly for you and start woodshedding.