Approaches with Music Teacher

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Currens1, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Currens1

Currens1

Hi all,

Thanks for the great feedback thus far on this site. I have decided to go down the route and take some music lessons. I received a gift certificate for 4 free lessons with a teacher who is formally trained and comes reccommended. I am familiar with notes on the fretboard, major scales, how to run chords into one another and can play a country song for the most part with chord sheets given or by ear. I have played in public and it was a success!

This question should rightfully be asked to the instructor ...

My question is: Where do I start? I've decided to go the route of music lessons because it is recommended as a beginneer and I've sort of hit a brick wall with regards to self-teaching myself. I would like to become a better bass player, with emphasis on proper techniques, etc. I do not want someone to say "Well what do you want to learn today?" I'm also hoping this one can take me outside of country and rock that I usually listen to.

I thought that maybe I should approach this teacher as a brand new student and take it all from stratch. I'm afraid that if I start from where I am (which is not far), there may be many building blocks that may be skipped unknowingly and that I might be a bit cocky and show off for lack of better words. What have been your experiences or what are your suggestions in this instance? I throughly love the bass and I want to excel at it.

Cheers! Have a safe weekend!
  2. Trayster2

Trayster2 Supporting Member

No, be honest in telling him where you are musically. If he's a good instructor, he'll appreciate it and work with you from there.
  3. fearceol

fearceol

+1. Tell the teacher what you have told us here, and any other relevant information you can think of. A good teacher will be able to assess where you are musically and then take it from there.

BTW, you dont need a teacher to "take me outside of country and rock that I usually listen to". Try playing along to other types of music. :)
  4. hgiles

hgiles

Tell your teacher what your short term and long term goals are. Explain who you are and where you are in your development. Play something you know for your teacher. Then play something you dont know.

The teacher should only then know how to handle the situation. Too many times teachers hand out exercises without even asking about goals and without knowing who theyre working with. Every student is different and needs different things.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Davidwt5683

Davidwt5683

Checkout Victor Wooten: Groove Workshop