1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Approaching new styles and ideas

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ChunkyMunky, Sep 7, 2013.

1. ChunkyMunky

ChunkyMunky

Approaching new styles and ideas.

As I'm sure many of the around here are used to doing this and putting their individual spin on already pre-existing compositions for the sake of self-improvement/fun, how does one go about it? I ask this as I recently came across this rather awesome D'n'B tune and it has a sample of a piano excerpt which has this Cuban/Latin taste to it. My experiment? I want to draw the enharmonic and rhythmic sensibilities and push the boundaries of writing something to it. By splitting the two fused bits together, I could write something new to go with it. My question is, how would YOU go about it?

^For this one, could someone go with the already pre-existing bassline or stray a bit away from it and have a counter rhythmic motif using ghost notes? I'd love to see what other folks would think. Thanks! :D