1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Aptitude tests?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Axtman, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

I'm considering a midlife career change and am wondering if aptitude tests would help figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

I have heard that these tests help determine a persons strengths and weaknesses not just their interests.

Does anybody have any experience with these tests?

Thanks!
  2. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Never taken one to try and decide which job I want to go for, I know people who have taken them as part of the interview process though.

If you are considering a midlife career change, why not go for something that interests you?
  3. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

Check out the book "what color is your parachute". It's the bible of this topic.

Also, look into the 'Holland Code'. It's matches types of work to your personality.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holland_Codes

PS. Don't forget lifestyle and income when choosing.
  4. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

Which jobs have you been interested in over the years? What specific drew you to them?
  5. Icey101

Icey101

Dont change for change sake, i mean, if a test tells you that you would make a good male nurse or a soldier, are you really going to go out there looking for this type of job because of a test?

Stick to something your gut tells you that you would be good at, it might be a variation to something that you are good at, like if your a social guy, why not some consulting sales type job, if you like using your hands, maybe a mechanic type assistant, then get some training in that area....that type fo thing

If i was going to do a midlife career change i'd love to work in an armed force, but they aint going to take some middle aged old bloke with a crook back are they....so i'll stick to my job i have now....until i chose another variation on what i am doing now
  6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

I can tell you from hard earned experience the best way to learn to dislike, or totally lose interest in an enjoyable hobby is to take it up as a full time job.

The local university offers free aptitude tests if you make an appointment to talk to an intake counselor.
  7. mellowinman

mellowinman

I took one!

It turns out I would make a great cowboy, rich celebrity, stunt pilot, or god.

Annuities Senior Technical Processor, specializing in accounting software?

Not so much.
  8. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Yeah it takes more than a simple test to point yourself in the right direction. It takes some real soul searching and goal setting. I suggest that you also check into Bryan Tracey. That man worked magic in my life. Once you finally do pick your target and set goals to get there, your whole work ethic and attitude changes and you will not believe how productive and focused you can be.
  9. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

I took one, many years ago (1969); It was called the AFQT. Don't know if that's Armed Forces (or Air Force) Qualification Test; I was joining the Air Force. It gave you a numerical score in Electrical, Administrative, Mechanical, and General categories, which in turn told you which career fields you were (or weren't) qualified for. Being the military, of course, your scores didn't mean you were going to actually get the job you wanted. It did help you choose from the jobs you could actually wind up in, when filling out your "Dream Sheet", however. And you could only pick 3.

In my case, it worked out pretty well. I was qualified for the job I wanted (Civil Engineering Technician); I got the job; made it through 19 weeks of tech school; and did it for 24 years. So, I guess they can be a useful tool, but I wouldn't consider aptitude tests the final word on what you want to do, though. Only you can decide that.
  10. Drowley

Drowley

What Color Is Your Parachute is excellent. You might check using the DISC model for a starting point. Provides an in depth analysis of your communication styles and what motivates you.