Aquila Thunder Reds vs White Thundergut

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kefer9, Feb 1, 2014.

1. kefer9

kefer9

Hi everybody,
    I am a owner of a bass ukulele Ortega LIZZY-BSFL-GB that comes with a set of Aquila Thundergut. Unfortunately I found the thundegut extremely sticky and it's almost impossible to play them and it seems that i am not the only one with this probem reading around the forum.
    I was wondering if anybody has tried the new Aquila Thunder Reds strings for ubass and, if so, if they found them smooth to play and not sticky like the thundergut. Another question about the thunder reds, do you know if I also have to replace the nut of my ortega ubass or can i use the original one?

Many thanks,
    Cheers, N.

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I haven't tried the reds, but based on the opinions of others, and the instructions on the package, they're still sticky. Perhaps less sticky than thunderguts, but sticky nonetheless. Pahoehoe's are the only petrochemical strings for sub shortscale instruments that aren't at all sticky. They have their flaws like low tension and endless stretching but they're not sticky and they feel and sound the best, in my opinion. It seems plain rubber is the only material that can remain completely smooth. Plastic/rubber blends like thunderguts, silver rumblers, and thunder reds are all sticky, depending on one's fingertip chemistry.

3. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I have basses strung up with both the White Thunderguts and the Red Thunderreds.

I guess I'm fortunate to not have the stickiness issue that some people do. I don't know if it's my calluses, skin ph, hygiene or what?

The Reds do feel differently to me, particularly the E and A have a little bit of a 'grainier' feel. They also feel heavy for their size compared to the D and G. I suspect the D and G strings of the Red series are formulated closer to the White Thunderguts.

I've just never experienced the stickiness myself.

4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

You're lucky. I've been cursed with thundergutredrumblerphobic fingertips.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kefer9

kefer9

Thanks for the tips guys, I have ordered a set of Pahoehoe Dreads, I will let you know how I will find them, I hope it will be a better compromise than the thundergut...

7. didgeribass

didgeribass

I find the stickyness of the Thunderguts quite annoying, too.

Kefer9, how did it go with the Pahoehoe Dreads?

8. kefer9

kefer9

Hi,
    they are not perfect but in general I found the Pahoehoe better than the Thunderguts. They don't stay in tune so well as the Thunderguts and they still produce a bit finger noise when amplified but in general I like them much better in term of playability. They don't stick to my fingers at all, they are smooth and nice at the touch. Until somebody will release a better set of strings the Pahoehoe will be my choice :)
    Cheers, N.