1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Archiving music: Preparedness for EMP

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Hapa, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Hapa

Hapa

A thought to all my friends working for Music.

In case of an EMP what does the music industry, recording arts, etc have to protect our music. Virtually everything is stored digitally from the past 25 years. Is there even a suitable medium for storing analog music in High quality? Industry peeps do you know of a protocol for archiving music for analog playback in case of disaster. We would have record players, tube amps, tube based stereo but nothing that reads digital. I was reading that faraday cages is a way to protect electronic devices, if they run on battery they will work after a pulse. but the term "survival music" interests me. The music that does survive and how it will carve how the future generations music. Or on the other hand "apocalypse music" the lack of any recorded music and only acoustic instrumentation being all that stands.

2. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

A computer case is typically fully encased in steel and is grounded.

3. Hapa

Hapa

It is not a faraday cage. It will fry.
    Aluminum not steel is used in computer cases and or zinc. Have you ever seen rust on a computer case? Most cases I know of are just plastic. The 1 mm thick sheet of metal inside is to protect against EMI not Electromagnetic pulse. Computers wig out if you even get a hair dryer near them when operating.

Even if a drive is protected, what will read it, what screens will work (other than old tube glass front monitors with interfaces that are no longer compatible), what playback device will still work.

4. TenaciousE

TenaciousE

I'm into music as much as anybody and I'm not trying to be a smartass but if there was an EMP we'd have way bigger problems, like trying to survive.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tupac

Tupac

Wouldn't surrounding it in a conductor work?

7. Hapa

Hapa

At tenacious...we would recover. I'm asking what do we have in place to preserve music that is digitally stored. Not in a blackout for personal use.

8. Hapa

Hapa

At Tupac
    You are thinking of a faraday cage. And it's easy to make. A wire grid running with current making a cabin that blocks emp.