1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Arco improvisation...

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by olivier babaz, Feb 12, 2014.

1. olivier babaz

olivier babaz

Hi guys

I'm starting a blog about bowed bass
    www.bassbowpirate.blogspot.ca
    Here is the first post and the video it features.

tell me what you think and do not hesitate to take part in it by commenting or proposing your own posts !
    cheers !
  2. Les Fret

Les Fret

Nice! what strings do you use? They seem to have a very good grip.
  3. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Gold Supporting Member

Very well done, your lines speak well!
  4. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    That was a great Clip!
  5. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member

Superb performance Olivier! It's a great topic so I will enjoy following your blog.
  6. olivier babaz

olivier babaz

Hey guys, thx for the words, I will for sure post here the next episodes of this blog.
    String are spiro red
    Once again, if any of you want to take part in it, PM !!
    All the best

www.olivierbabaz.com
  7. jake3

jake3

nice! I am working on dipping my toe into arco improvisation, but very slowly. I have a gig this weekend where I know "Summertime" in Dm will be on the list and I will try my solo arco with that. (Because it's really hard to go wrong with so many easy notes built into the melody.)
  8. Les Fret

Les Fret

Do you mean Spirocore weichs?
  9. olivier babaz

olivier babaz

10. damonsmith

damonsmith

11. olivier babaz

olivier babaz

Yeah great book, the only one (at least to my knowledge) on this subject in fact.

There's a french Violin player (Didier Lockwood) that wrote a cool book about jazz violin improv
    http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/lockwood_cordes
    I think it was in english as well.
    Great examples, & transcriptions, lot of things to adapt on the bass...
  12. Les Fret

Les Fret

I like them for this type of jazz sound but not so much for classical stuff. My classical teacher hates them :).
  13. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

I'm not a DB bass player (though I always admire them).. But I really love to watch & listen your arco playing..and also your pizzi..(esp one with attached kalimba play along, the police cover one..I like it :)
    Thanks to share them
  14. damonsmith

damonsmith

I can make them sing for straight classical solos - I have not played ANY string that sings like Spiro solos, they are way too bright for orchestral work on most basses. The real truth is they only scratchy if you don't practice enough.
  15. Les Fret

Les Fret

Anyone should do what they want of course but for classical there are better strings in my opinion. Still for pizzicato it is my favorite string.
    I have played on Spiros weichs for two years but I am using Helicores hybrids for one year now. Seems like a better compromise between classical and jazz pizz tone to me.
  16. cultrvultr

cultrvultr

Olivier, The Kalimba is really cool! How did you mount them on your bass? Can you post a close-up picture please?
  17. amusicbass123

amusicbass123

Great playing and blog idea! I'll be checking it out frequently. I've been working on my Arco solos a lot as well. I've been trying to transcribe as many horn solos as I can and get the phrasing right with the bow, it's helped a lot.

Obviously this isn't improvised, but it's related: http://youtu.be/569uzCK3oJE
  18. John Goldsby

John Goldsby Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Bassist @ WDR Big Band Cologne, Regular Contributor to Bass Player Magazine
    Nice idea for a blog, Oliver. I enjoyed your "Billie's Bounce" also.

Alex: killin' job on the Sonny Stitt transcription. You meticulously transferred Stitt's phrasing to the bass.

Here's a video from quite awhile back where I'm playing "Solar" with guitarist Peter Leitch. I bow a solo — Spiro reds, through a Fishman BP 100 and GK. I think for the audio they had a mic in front of the bass. But it still sounds pretty nasal because of the pu and amp.

I'll be back to check out your blog, Oliver.
  19. jake3

jake3

took the plunge last night and did an arco solo ... in a slow version of "Summertime" in D minor, pretty hard to go wrong, but I had to start somewhere. I got two times 'round the changes, played the melody straight the first time, and the second time embellished it with some blues notes. Went over very well, so I am ready for more.

I'll catch up later on listening to the links posted above ...
  20. amusicbass123

amusicbass123