Are 2 2x10s the same as a 4x10, everything being equal? Also, Markbass question.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jfh2424, Feb 3, 2014.

1. jfh2424

jfh2424

Hi the time has come to buy new cabs. I am thinking of two Markbass 102s 8ohms or one Markbass 104 4ohms. (For those of you who don't know the models, we are talking about 2 210s or 1 410, rated the same for ohms and power handling). Price wise, it would seem that the 104 would be the better option. My back would probably like the 2 102s option. But I don't know sound wise, I can't hear them out. I also don't know if two 102s would put out more sound then a single 104, even if they are rated the same.

As anyone ever compared these two setups? Have you ever compared two 210s vs a 410 from the same company? What did you think?

Thanks!

John
  2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Usually 2x10 + 2x10 = 4x10, except for the much superior monitoring and room filling you can get with a vertical stack of tens.
  3. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Buying two 210s is a good strategy for going lighter than you need to. And two traditional 210s will indeed rival a single 410, but probably won't be noticeably louder.

However, you might want to look at this question from another perspective. If you're looking to save weight and maximize performance, why not get a good 210 that gets as loud as a good 410?

My Greenboy Audio Fearless 210 uses drivers with high excursion capability to achieve this output level, and they provide full-range response with absolutely top drawer tone. It can take 900+ watts @ 4ohms. Excellent mobile form factor. Good for when there is no house PA support.

My review, pics, sound sample here -> fEARLESS F210

[​IMG]

If you have house PA support, a lighter cab with the right components will do fine. My Fearless 110 takes 500+ watts @ 8ohm, is as loud as a good 210 and weighs 31 lbs. Sounds the same as the F210.

My review, pics, sound samples - > BAD fEARless 110 - greenboy goes even smaller

[​IMG]

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

It's not just the number of drivers involved, its also the cabinet design. It is certainly not the case that you should automatically expect "more sound" from two small cabinets vs. a bigger one with 2x the drivers. It can be the other way around. A larger cabinet can be more efficient, and can be tuned for lower frequencies. Glancing at the MarkBass web site, I note that the 104 is rated to lower frequencies (thought not by enough to get worked up about) and to a higher sensitivity (though, again, not by enough to worry), than the 102, which is pretty much par for the course.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

2 cabs gains 3db over single cab.
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

That fEARless 210 is probably going to be more than the 410 cost wise, that is not even counting the added fees. OP is in Canada, so no authorized builders, he will have to pay the international shipping costs and customs fees.

OP I have the 104HF and I have tried the 210s, I find all MarkBass cabinets to have the same voicing so I would imagine two 210s will sound the exact same as a 410. As Downunder said, stacking them vertically would be the better option, but it will cost more money plus it will require more time and effort to load in and out each night, on top of the upfront added cost.
  8. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

I recently bought a nice GK 410 Neo. But next time I think I will invest in a couple of 2x10 cabs. Then I'll use one for smaller gigs and two for larger gigs.

To me, there's just something really, really cool about being able to do this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You get the idea. Most of the rigs above belong to TB members. I hope you don't mind that I "borrowed" your pictures. :cool:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  9. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Two *identical* cabs gains 3db over a single cab of the same type. Two apples don't necessarily gain 3db over a single orange.

(Indeed, the only Orange I have access to is a whole lot more than twice as loud as my Apple, but that's just gratuitous wordplay)
  10. flatfender

flatfender Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit Supporting Member

My 2-2x10 vertical cabs is my main rig for the last few years that I use 90% of the time.

[​IMG]
  11. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

If apple is 2x10 and the orange is same drivers x4 in double the box, two apples are equal loudness and sensitivity to one orange. But the vertical stack rules.
  12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

2x210 array is good on a smaller stage!

[​IMG]
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm a vert stacker, too:

[​IMG]

Now these two 210av's aren't quite the equal of the 410he (410he has more cubic inches per speaker and heavier duty speakers), but they sound great, especially when you do the vert stack.
  14. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Supporting Member

I have twin Ampeg SVT210AVs and I love them.. way more than my SWR 410 (which I'm going to probably sell now). I love the 210s stacked, but it's also nice to have the option to split the cabs on either side of the stage. IME, you can't usually depend on the sound man to put enough bass in everyone's monitors (if you have monitors at all), and when the rest of the band can hear the bass out of an actual cab on their side of the stage, I swear it makes for a tighter show.
  15. caddywumpus

caddywumpus

I stack a Markbass 1x12 combo on top of a 2x10 Markbass cab. It's great because all of the controls are at "easy reach" level.

One benefit of having two cabs is being able to point them in different directions for dispersement. I have also played where the drummer wanted one cab directly behind him to hear, so I put the 2x10 behind him and kept the 1x12 as my stage monitor.

Another benefit of the setup is a one trip load in from the car. Combo in one hand, 2x10 in the other, bass and cables in a backpack soft case. Boom!
  16. spaz21387

spaz21387

I love my dual 2x10 setup. If you want cheap and a decent 2x10 you cant go wrong with the carvin 2x10mbe. They are also 32 pounds per cab which is awesome for fast load ins and loadouts. I can do it in one trip a cab in each hand and bass and head in a gig bag on my back.
  17. jfh2424

jfh2424

Thanks for your replies, guys. So what I understand is that most of you feel that there isn't a whole lot of sonic differences between 2 210s and a 410, if they have the same specs.

In my personal case, I'm not sure I will have the cash for 2 210s. I'll probably go for the 410. We'll see what comes up used, too.

Thanks again!

John
  18. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

There is a world of difference in how audible it is on stage and around the room. Betcha most of those vertical stack owners upgraded from 4x10 and they went to the trouble of posting pics to get you inspired.
  19. ErnieD

ErnieD Supporting Member

I play a bar gig with these 3 other cats a few times a year. We just throw it together for the show as we all know the same RnB/Soul/C&W/Blues tunes, etc.

So we meet a few times a year to gig. Last few times I used my Eden 410XLT, SWR Goli 3, 2xEpi UL410's,GB NeoX 212T, etc. These are med sized nite clubs, no band thru PA just vocals, kickdrum.

The last gig we did in Dec 2013, I took my two TC-E RS210 cabs; stacked vert of course. This club has limited band space so I knew a vert stack would work best. I used my GB Shuttle 9.2/Skyline JoBo 5 jazz bass. This is first time I use this setup with this band and rarely use it in my other bands.

After the show all three guys came to tell me how well they could hear every note I played that nite. Friends in crowd said the rig sounded nice as well. I had the stack angled abit inward as I was right of drummer. I noticed I could hear myself very well this nite too. That second cab up around my ears sure helps for that.

All my 410 cabs are gone now. I still have a TB153, NeoX 212T, NX-212T and these cabs still get used quite abit. But for these small-med sized club gigs, the 210 stack just works so well.

Good luck OP. If you can, I'd save abit more n get two 210's. I think I'll start using my vert stacked 210's more often.
  20. davidhilton

davidhilton Supporting Member

Back in the day- the 90's- when SWR was the trusted rig, I switched from 2 2x10 cabs to 1 4x10....and the difference was amazing. The 4x10 had more bottom and just sounded overall tighter to me. I still remember the gig, somewhere in Seattle area at some college somewhere. It was outside on a concrete patio...and right when we started I was in heaven. but now days you gotta consider ur back yo!
  21. davidhilton

davidhilton Supporting Member

Is that what i think it is, or a crazy photoshop?