1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Are Chromes okay for string through basses?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sgroh87, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

I'm thinking about getting a fretless bass and putting some flatwound strings on it in the near future, but the one I'm looking at is marketed as having a string through bridge design. I'd heard that flats typically don't do well with string through basses but I thought I'd ask if anyone had tried it with any degree of success.
  2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

i've strung Chromes, DR Legends and Roto 77's through the bridge on my p-basses and haven't had any problems. if the string saddle is too far back, it can make for too extreme of an angle and the string can break. Labella makes string-thru versions of their deep talkin' flats.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've had Chromes on my Precision strung-thru-body and they were fine.
  4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I never sting any of my basses string thru body. I don't like the idea of taking a fat string and bending it 90 degrees.
  5. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

flats going through body (chromes, in particular) have never been a problem on Fenders I've had
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    It doesn't bend 90 degrees in Fenders. It puts two separate bends into the string.
  7. BornboreD

BornboreD

The only time I tried Chromes through body were on my '97 MIA Jazz. They were too short and the silk wrap extended on to (into) the nut. I just cut it back, but still.
  8. tonym

tonym

They've lengthened the strings since then. I had the same problem with my first set, but I changed them out and talked to D'Addario and Bass Strings Online and was glad to find out about the change. The new ones cleared the nut no problem.

D'Addario even promised that if they didn't clear the fret they'd send me a new longer set for free. Nice folks.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I can vouch for that. Mine cleared the nut, too.
  10. Emibass

Emibass

11. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

I tried to put TI Jazz Flats on a string-through G&L L-2500 and the B string absolutely would not fit through the ferrule. other than that, never had a problem with string-through flats.
  12. IvanMunoz

IvanMunoz

Yep, I've had the same chromes on my mustang bass for about three years now. They´re fine. And they sound great too.
  13. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

This doesn't answer your question but string through body basses are a pain the the butt! Which scale length string to buy? Sharp kink coming up to the bridge saddles weakens the string. Serves no advantage but surely serves disadvantages. Some string manufacturers STRONGLY state to not use their string through body.

Sadly, I have 7 basses that are string through body. One them lets me by-pass through the body and go through the bridge.

Through the bridge is the best way!
  14. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Yes you can use the chromes thru-body on most basses.

Some companies do say not to run their strings Thru-Body but they make strings that are specifically for thru-body stringing now.