1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

are CV's the new SX?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by your idol, Jan 25, 2010.

1. your idol

your idol

ive noticed at megaton of love for the CV series as a knockaround bass, mod platform and gigger lately and seeing as soon as SX changed their headstock that all went to hell. the CV fans have now infected EVERY budget bass thread on here even when it isnt listed as an option.

i know CVs are twice the price of an SX but it seems like value for you dollar this thing is REALLY taking over in favor of the Squiers.

just looking for input from SXers whove made the jump or looking to make it and see if this is now becoming the standard in the budget platform. ive never touched an SX so id be real interested in hearing comparisons on the 2.

(for the record im not trolling here...just wondering if anyone else is noticing the tide turning as well)
  2. ghostjs

ghostjs

Disclosures:
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    i might jump on one soon truthfully... bout the get another SX but the CV's are so tempting!
  3. Lukejt

Lukejt

Uhhh.

Look I've never even held an SX, but IMO the CV P's don't require ANY modding to feel and sound great. They look great, feel great, sound great and play great. Frets are all nice, no sharp edges, finish is excellent (mine is better than my MIM, it sounds better too!).

I'll let somebody with experience comment on the SXs.

Oh yeah, I purchased mine to be a "knock about" or to leave at my friends house so I'd have a 4 string there to play with. Guess what, I fell in LOVE with it. It's not going to be a knock about bass, it's not a toy and it sure is hell won't be left over anybody elses house. Maybe I can find a MIM to fill that role.

:)
  4. your idol

your idol

i kicked the tires on buying my 60's P for a loooooong time so that means every shop i went into that had one i played it and i never found a single one (out of 20 or so) that wasnt stellar. i was impressed with every last one and theres very few basses if any at all at much higher price ranges i could say that about.
  5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

I recently tried those newer cv squires and I must say I am impressed. I have owned about 5 or 6 SXs in the past and these cv squires are MUCH better. The neck feels quite nice for a budget instrument although still in need of a fret dressing. Definitely worth double the price of the SX IMO.
  6. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

well a CV is 3 times the price BUT i think there alot better i have owned 2 sx's one could have been fixable and 1 was pure junk.

I think grabbing a used CV for around 200$ is a WAYYY better value then an SX, also CV's of course are 350$ but there are so many ways you can get discounts no one should have to pay over 300$ if they shop around.
  7. Falkner

Falkner

I own a few SX instruments and have played a few CV's, and I think it's fair to say that the CV series is a good bit superior but also a little more expensive. If you're planning on gutting it and modding everything, go SX. If you want great sound and playability out of the box, CV. Of course this is all my opinion.
  8. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

IMO the CV hold there own way above SX. SVs are the new MIM and better. I see myself going there for a good all around out of the box bass that feels like its worth way more than it costs.Fender hit it out of the park with this bass fo' sure.
  9. pica

pica

Can someone tell me what CV is?
  10. Aspidites

Aspidites

Classic Vibe
  11. 5string5fingers

5string5fingers Supporting Member

IF you can find a used CV for 200 bucks. I've yet to see them that low.
  12. your idol

your idol

ill vouch. i missed 2 on ebay at that price because i had already bought mine for $300 brand new (with a fret dress and a new set of flats so i won out on that one)
  13. Aspidites

Aspidites

My gf paid $150.00 for my CV 50's P on CL.
  14. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

I've played 2 sx basses. McHaven's jazz and WorkingOnIt's 5er jazz. I didn't plug Mick's in but it played great! Workin's 5er jazz had really low action, no fretbuzz, and a tight B string as well as sounding great.

Comparing these two brands are like comparing apples and oranges. If I wanted to change the neck (to a pbass width ebony fretless neck), bridge, tuners, pg, pups and pots I would (without a doubt) sx. But if I was changing the bridge (just to a low mass one), pg, and possibly pups (imo, atleast on the 60's p, it doesn't need it) I would go CV.

My 2 cents
  15. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

It's important to note that the CVs are great right out of the box and require no modding. I know there are pimps on here that would mod a Ritter, but the fact is, the CV has good quality hardware -- and the stock alnico pickups sound damn nice. I don't see too many people playing stock SX basses.
  16. M0ses

M0ses

Do they cost less than $150?

No. No they don't. And therefore, no they aren't.

That's not to say they aren't good instruments or good values.
  17. your idol

your idol

ah yes but can the price of getting an SX up to a certain standard hit the 200-250 mark with price of bass included..yes, yes it can.
  18. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Oh... I'd prolly replace the knobs for flat top pbass knobs to be more period correct

Honestly I'd own 3 CVs (60 pbasses, only ones Ireally like)

1 bone stock

1 with QPs, badass II, neck pup ashtray cover and one of those gold PGs (like on the 57RIs)

1 with period correct knobs, pre-cbs tuners, fralin/sd antiquity pups, period correct bridge, full ashtrays, flatwounds, mint or parchment pg, and just maybe a maple/maple neck

Just a few other bases short of my dream setup
  19. M0ses

M0ses

But that's what makes it an SX. It CAN be played stock, and plenty of people do. But, you can also sink as much money as you want in it. For me, it's about 6 hours of sanding that horrid varnish off, and then waiting around for the tung oil to dry. Nowhere else can you get that kind of build quality for that kind of money, though. I think both options are good, but an SX is an SX and a CV is a Squire. There's just something magical going on at Rondomusic....
  20. theory028

theory028 Supporting Member

I scored my Classic Vibe 60s Jazz for $200 shipped here in the classifieds. It came with a nice gig bag, too. The only thing wrong with it was a couple of very minor blemishes and the pickguard was painted black. All it took was a bit of elbow grease and some goo removing solution and it was almost back to normal. The edges still have some black on them but I haven't been bothered to take it off and clean it up. I don't mind at all.

I feel like I stole this bass. I really love it and would gladly pay the $350 for a new one if I had to. My dad played it and didn't believe that it was only $200.

I haven't seen many going for that price since then so I am a lucky guy.

For the longest time, I've had Chromes on the bass. I loved them at first but then I just grew sick of them. They were not working for me at all. I finally restrung it with some extra light D'Addario EXL rounds and I love the results. It's the only bass that I'll play when I'm at my home in Decorah. When I'm at my apartment in Iowa City, I go to my Atkinson Precision that has also been given new life thanks to rounds. ;)