Are dead spots a function of the bass as a whole?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Temcat, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Temcat

Temcat

I wonder if dead spots are a function of the bass as a whole or just a neck. By moving the neck to a different body, can you move or even (when lucky) eliminate dead spots?
  2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

In my experience string response in general is in the neck. YMMV.
  3. zortation

zortation

It's the neck. A dead spot occurs when the resonant frequency of a note matches that of the neck, so the neck absorbs the note.
  4. David Jayne

David Jayne

In general I agree BUT I think the mass of the body is part of the equation. I've moved necks onto heavier or lighter bodies and noticed a change in the dead spot.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Correct; the location of dead spots is a function of the resonance frequency of the instrument, which in turn is a function of the ratio of the headstock mass to the body mass. So, one has options in trying to change this ratio to relocate dead spots to areas where they are less offensive or sometimes no longer an issue.

To change the ratio of headstock/body mass, the most simple change I can think of is switching to lighter tuners. I was able to effectively relocate/remove the dead spot on my Rickenbacker 4003FL (C on the D string) by doing this.

Other options are available (body hardware), but generally, lighter is preferable to heavier, and depending on the nature and location of the dead spot, different changes will have varying levels of success.
  7. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

You can move it. Try adding a headstock tuner to see if you can, or a capo. May be a note you dont hit as much. I have a dead spot at B & I hate it so I adjusted my neck a bit & did that stuff & its not as much of an issue now
  8. mongo2

mongo2

Neck, IME.

Also IME, shortscale necks are much better at controlling dead/hot spots than longscale necks.
  9. JustForSport

JustForSport

It's a function/ side effect of the neck/headstock design, mostly. An asymmetrical headstock with relatively large percentage of the mass off-center has more of a propensity to have a dead spot. On a bass, the headstock vibrates sympathetically with the strings, and if asymmetrical, there is a twisting action to the neck also which shows up at a resonant note/frequency.
    This is also dependent on the rigidity/flexibility (front-to-back and sideways) of the neck. The vibration source and canceling is of course between the body mass and the headstock mass-
    some designs are more prone to the effect than others.
    Then again, what manufacturer does a stress and vibration analysis on the system before selling to the public?
    Basically anecdotal info is your best source of info.
  10. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Professional Luthier
    You can think of it this way:

The geometry and mechanical construction of the neck will determine how much and how noticeable the dead spots will be. But the sum total of the neck, body, and hardware weight on the headstock will determine what frequencies the deadspots will be at. The neck causes them, but the whole instrument determines where they'll be.

So, if a bass has obvious dead spots, adding mass to the headstock will move them up the scale. Removing mass from the headstock will move them down the scale. The trick is to move them half a fret either way, which will do the best job of hiding them between notes.

Switching to a heavier or lighter body will also move them, but the effect is usually less. That is, it will take more weight change to make a comparable shift.

But the dead spots will still be there, unless you switch necks or modify the stiffness of the neck. They are mostly a problem on Fender-pattern necks; 4-string, 34" scale, bolt-on. They will happen on other combinations, but not as often.

We Luthiers have different techniques for avoiding dead spots. In my own experience with my Scroll Basses, two things eliminated them: switching to 3-piece laminated maple necks or going to 35" scale on a one-piece neck.

I'm not sure why my 3-piece neck has no dead spots. It isn't significantly stiffer than a one piece neck made from the same wood. But it seems to change or reduce the ability of the neck to go into those vibration modes. That's just the particular combination on my basses. A laminated neck certainly doesn't guarantee no dead spots, but it seems to help.

Other guys who build Fender-pattern necks add internal stiffeners or internal damper elements to eliminate them. Unfortunately there aren't any proven formulas. It usually comes down to trial and error.
  11. chris_b

chris_b

Add mass to the headstock with a Fat Finger.
  12. gleneg61

gleneg61

I would say flaw, not function, but an unavoidable one nonetheless. Apparently, according to many demigods & mavericks of bass design, headless basses evolved as an attempt to rid us of this scourge & still remain to this day our best option I believe: whether they suit your idea of style over substance is your option. I love them but YMMV.
  13. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

never ran into this elusive dead spots.
  14. MoBe

MoBe

I reckon Ned Steinberger solved the problem a long time ago but people wouldn`t buy his solution so his early designs are now collectors items.
  15. syisrad

syisrad

Maybe dead spots are the result of an unseated fret
  16. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

IMO lighter tuners and/or a heavier bridge might help alleviate some of the issue.

I currently have the problem with a Geddy Lee Jazz bass. Am looking at two options as follows:

1. Mods - changing tuners, bridge and pickups.
    2. Replacing the bass entirely and saying the hell with it
  17. syisrad

syisrad

Wasn't joking about the frets. Use common sense before hypothetical waffle.

The most common cause for dead notes is a fret or frets that have come loose/unseated or were never installed 100% in the first place.

It won't be a glaringly obvious loose fret and you will have to examine dead note causing fret carefully.

It's the number 1 reason why good luthiers glue in frets. Majority of production line basses don't.

If the fret isn't seated nice and tight it WILL produce a noticeable dead note at a lower volume to the rest. I'm not talking about buzzing frets here.

If you're 100% your frets are perfect then worry about your Einstein theories.

Certainly don't get rid of a bass before checking or having your local luthier check first!

Madness.
  18. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

So, how does that account for dead spots on fretless basses?
  19. 4dog

4dog

ummmm...goblins???? ^^^^^
  20. Jaco D

Jaco D

21. Steve

Steve Supporting Member

Yeah, you would think that Fender would have figured out to give that 5-6-7 fret area an extra whack or two under the G string by now.